Falling Popcorn

We recently made an attempt to paint our living room ceiling that has not been painted since it was spayed up 45 years ago. Its a sprayed on popcorn ceiling and as we painted with a roller, it started to peal off in chunks as big as a quarters.

Has anyone ever experienced this ? What can we do to fix ? (other than scrape it all off) Can we spray adhesive under the pieces that are starting to fall and stick them back up ?

What is really the root issue ? Is the paint just drying out ?

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Sid 03

Here's a link < rather than an anonymous quote >

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Wow, more info than I wanted. As children we were told that it was real popcorn ?! I'll collect a sample for testing.

In the event that its not asbestos, what's the best fix ?

Reply to
Sid 03

I know you don't want to, but I'd scrape it. Actually, I'd pay someone to scrape it, and that's after getting it tested. If it contains asbestos, I'd get it remediated (scraped) by the pros.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Meh. I didn't even think about it when I scraped off my popcorn. I just wet it down with a garden sprayer and scraped it off with a plastic putty knife. Plastic on the floor, of course, to catch the wet popcorn.

Came off like a champ, since the ceiling underneath had decades of old (no doubt lead-based) paint, rather than fresh drywall.

Last time I checked, homeowners could do a lot of stuff themselves that would require pros to jump through a lot of hoops.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Another advantage in doing it your way - when you sell your house you will not be obliged to disclose the asbestos - because you are not officially aware of it. Once tests and/or abatement has been done - many jurisdictions require that it be disclosed. ... it makes the buyers nervous. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Asbestos should be sealed on the paint binder and water would also help keep it down. I'd suit up and mask and clean up well to be safe unless you know it is not asbestos but then as you point out you are better off not knowing.

I have painted over two popcorn ceilings without flaking. Do not know if they are asbestos.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That's what I was thinking. Getting some drywall guys to just cover it up with new drywall might be a simple solution that doesn't cost a lot.

Reply to
trader_4

Can I spay up a popcorn ceiling that does not use asbestos ?

Reply to
Sid 03

Asbestos was banned in the ~ 1970's. Are you sure that you want to spray over it ?

- when you said that it peels from the paint roller ? Like another post suggested - I'd consider drywall-ing over it. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Spray bottle of water, wide scraper. Comes off easily. Wipe with a damp sponge to clean any residue. My wife did our entire 2100 sq. ft. house by herself. Back then we did no know to check for asbestos but she did wear a dust mask.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes.

Mine was supplied by builder in den and kitchen. Looks nice and hides imperfections but I would not try doing it myself as it may not be as uniform.

Reply to
invalid unparseable