OT Car insurance rise?

Well slicks in the wet are 'difficult' if there is standing water...:-)

A treasured memory driving a go-kart in pouring rain round Brands Hatch Indy circuit...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, shame they didn't use a range of tyres.

Reply to
Fredxx

Returning cash is something you can insist on when returning a faulty item.

Reply to
Fredxx

Usually "number plate" (though it has letters as well).

The V5 says who is the "registered keeper" and doesn't prove ownership. If you are buying a car on hire purchase it belongs to the finance company until you pay the last installment, and if you lease it it belongs to the leasing company. In both cases the usual driver will have it registered in their name.

It is (or was) called a "logbook" as at one time it was a piece of cardboard, about A4 size, folded in three (I think). When you bought a car you filled in your name and address and had it stamped at the Post Office so it contained a "log" of all the previous owners.

Reply to
Max Demian

Draper is a reputable firm, isn't it? Harbor Freight is mostly Chinese knockoff that resemble the originals. They're also sail close to being outright deceptive. Chicago Pneumatic makes professional quality air tools. Pittsburg Pneumatic is the HF brand. Milwaukee Electric makes power tools, 'Chicago Electric' makes power tools that look like them.

Not all their stuff is complete crap but caveat emptor. Their wrenches aren't horrible and I use them for tool kits on the bikes. If someone rips them off I'm not out much.

Reply to
rbowman

Some of our states have lower speed limits for trucks, say 70 rather than 80. That's completely counter-productive since it creates rolling roadblocks. It may have made sense 100 years ago but modern trucks are capable of traveling at legal passenger car speeds safely.

Reply to
rbowman

Studded tires have the same problem. They are fantastic on icy roads but I have to adjust for dry pavement. One of my bikes is a 'dual sport'. Tires are available on the spectrum between pure road and knobbies for the gnarly stuff, with some trying to achieve a balance. Horses for courses.

Reply to
rbowman

They use bike engines like the Suzuki GSXR 600. It looked like a blast and not too expensive to get into but the local track closed before temptation set in. In this area people are more into the livestock abuse called rodeo than motorsports.

Reply to
rbowman

Great movie. I could emphasize although I would never trim my toenails with a die grinder; my hands aren't that steady anymore.

Reply to
rbowman

Wait until I finish the sentence moron.

Think Rod, think.... To save £4000 n an expensive car, you get an old tyre changer.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

To save time going to the garage more often, you waste time rotating. You've gained nothing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My satnav gives me plenty warning, I don't need to brake, I just let off the accelerator.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I did that in the dry, but very gritty. Great fun, I did a 360 and continued.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I want to do that in real life.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Anybody who looks at a safety website is a sissie.

Don't fit the cheapest budget tyres from some places (eg. SMS rip off cowboys in the UK), they last a tenth of the time, they must be made of something very soft.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What really annoys me is global laws, like how to treat prisoners of war. FFS KILL the enemy!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I remember in th UK when a gallon was under a pound. Now a litre is over a pound. And most of it is government theft, I mean tax.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How does that happen?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think Machine Mart is where I got a 5 tonne hydraulic (electric) log splitter. Works fine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I didn't realise changing a tyre was possible without a huge hydraulic machine.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey