OT Car insurance rise?

It's not "easy" to replace ABS sensors, which require taking everything else off first, and can cost £100s.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed. And not only that they have speed limiters, all set slightly differently, so you get a lorry going 59 overtaking a lorry going 58. Then an incline, which means it can no longer do 59.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I didn't say intimidate, I meant the truck can't slow that quick.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah, mine are just a pressure sensor and transmitter module attached to the inside of tyre valve. Third party replacements can be had for £5 to £10 each.

Reply to
alan_m

More like £1.50 a litre around my way ($7.60 per US gallon), E10 unleaded petrol.

Reply to
alan_m

Nor have I in 55 years driving. Mind you, the owners of the wreckage I've seen in my rear view mirror probably have.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That is TPS, not ABS -- Some cars "deduce" tire pressure from speed variance using the ABS sensors - but TPS sensors have NOTHING to do with ABS

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Locally we hit $1.56 Canadian per liter. That's $5.97 Canadian.per yankee gallon. With the looney running $0.78 US that is still $4.66 US per gallon.

It's fown to $1.466 right now - so still $4.32 - for regular e10.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why would we want rid of sex discrimination? The sexes are different. Or would you require 50% of bricklayers to be female? And would you require females and males to compete with each other in the Olympics, Tennis, etc?

Still sex discrimination.

More males are out of work?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

By an inch or two maybe. Or do you have spine problems?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine has this problem. Surely the tip in the neighbouring place is similar. Why would they care if people occasionally went to a different one? Jeez they need to understand co-operation.

Holy shit, 60 seconds?! I guess you live in a quaint little place. It's one every 10-15 seconds here. In a county with a population of 51K.

Because cars can catch covid.

What a shambles, my place has always had the place you park much higher then where the skips sit. The top of the skip is at waist level.

They closed it at first, scivers.

I bet they love working there with that stench. Mine has been placed next to council estates, although some builder has just put up some real housing right next to it, I guess they're cheap.

If the cars regularly move, it's hardly blocking.

Pre-covid I used to drive straight in, there was still a womble wanting proof of address, but you just waved something at him and said "rubble" or whatever you have, and he said "skip 8", no queue formed.

I see no queue at 7:22pm. Go then.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Eh? Why would I need the whole car painted? Just paint what you put on that's the wrong colour, or don't bother. There's no legal requirement for your car to be the same colour all over, in fact there's a VW Polo near here where they deliberately have every door etc a different colour, not sure if it was made like that if they took the trouble to change all the panels, or had a drunk painting session. Looks cool though. Although f****ng easy to spot if they break the law.

The rust wasn't caused by the accident and is nothing to do with the insurance.

A 10 year old does not need a new part, it needs a 10 year old part.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm confused. ABS must function by law if fitted. Tyre pressure monitors I didn't think had to. Those are only on posh cars, whereas ABS is I think on every new car by law.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A bit cheaper than here, as I think UK pounds are 2/3rds of a Canadian dollar.

AFAIK in the USA it's dirt cheap - f*ck all tax on it, just like it should be.

BTW, stop deleting newsgroups, Alan is British and probably doesn't read alt.home.repair.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Might be that here. Last time I bothered looking at the price I think it was £1.40, but I use a supermarket.

Yip,

- £1.40.7 Do you live in the outer hebrides?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It was more convenient for people in the neighbouring council area, especially in the town 1/2mile away, to use our local tip and never visa-versa. My council use a private contractor for all waste collection and probably pay them based on the population in the council area - and not the population of two council areas.

Yep, only a 12 hour queue until it opens again.

Reply to
alan_m

I haven't noticed any stench when dumping rubbish at the site.

One recently built large estate is in range of the local sewage treatment works. I bet they sold most houses when the wind was blowing in a favourable direction, or during the winter months.

It's a bit like motorway traffic jams. The front may be moving slowly but te back of the queue is static for long periods.

Reply to
alan_m

How childish of them. Well they shouldn't have put it there then. And waste collection shouldn't be segmented like that it's insane.

If nobody's looking....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Mine has its own landfill site, which I think the houses are actually built on. Reclaiming swamp....

Don't people research their houses before they buy? I bought mine 150ft above the river level. And not right next to the nearby disused covered up coal mine. I did laugh when 4 houses sunk 2 metres.

Ah, people who don't know how to use a clutch.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, SE Essex. That site says the cheapest is currently at 5 petrol stations @ £1.42 but all with a round trip of 20 miles to go there :( I would probably pass 10 petrol stations on route.

The last time I filled up it was around £1.48 per litre in both Shropshire and Essex (I topped up before a 250 mile journey and then again when I arrived home).

Reply to
alan_m