OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

That's one of the things I couldn't tolerate about living in America. Depending where you are, you have to abide by completely different laws. I think I'd end up getting jailed by accident!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

More or less. If there's a law I don't agree with and you're on trial for breaking that law, you're innocent. In other words the jury nullifies the stupid laws instead of judging whatever poor slob is in the dock.

Reply to
rbowman

That's the only jury I served on but I believe it's one trial and out of the pool until the next time whether it took half a day or three weeks. The biggest holdup was some of the people who were supposed to be available for the jury selection didn't show up and the judge sent the sheriffs out to collect them until he had a big enough pool. I imagine if they have to drag you to the courthouse they keep you on speed dial for upcoming trials.

Reply to
rbowman

It can and sometimes ammunition is scarce like after Obumma was elected. .22 LR wasn't bad before then, $20 for 525 rounds of my favorite, but that tried up. It's back but the price went up of course. Obama was the greatest gun and ammo salesman that ever lived. I went to air rifles/pistols for a while. Plenty of pellets and a lot cheaper. Target acquisition and trigger control is about the same but recoil management isn't. There are some gas powered pistols that are very close to the real thing as far as weight and the slides do actually cycle.

They're not cheap. I shoot a recurve with traditional cedar arrows. I could go a little cheaper with other wood that cedar or with aluminum or maybe carbon but not much.

The infamous shipping and handling doesn't help either. Most stores around here are mostly into compound hunting bows and don't have a lot of trad stuff.

They last quite a long time if you keep them in the target and don't bounce them off rocks. Every now and then I'll do the famous Robin Hood split the arrow trick (not on purpose). Fletching, broken nocks, lost points I can fix and even save shafts if only an inch or two is broken off.

Reply to
rbowman

Most of us don't... Some forethought comes into play. I worked in Boston several times and would take a room there for the duration but my residence was New Hampshire which was wide open. I did have Massachusetts residency a longtime ago but when they passed a bill to register all firearms with a one year mandatory sentence for noncompliance I left the state.

For the same reason I would never go back to the state where I was raised. The part where I'm from is rural and quite beautiful but NYC and it's 13 million assholes is at the other end of the river.

Some people are anchored where they are either by family or job but I go where the climate suits me.

Reply to
rbowman

I left Maryland because of Stupid gun laws Bad weather Bad traffic Boring job The fact that speeding tickets had become a profit center. ... in no particular order.

Reply to
gfretwell

Surely there are countless laws that are different per state that you'd never think of as being illegal at all, therefore accidentally break them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Just noticed your surname fits well with shooting arrows!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Jury duty should be voluntary.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Now you see I would have accepted the jury duty and gone ahead with the nullification, getting someone let off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm sure. Or I break them on purpose. I just avoid the obvious. When I cross into Washington where helmets are required I put the helmet on, knowing some cop would get into my face sooner rather than later.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm fairly sure my surname comes from some ignorant anglophone who couldn't spell a German name. I know on my grandmother's side the old gravestones have an umlauted o. The next generation had the oe version, and by my generation they'd given up and just kept the e.

For what looks like a straightforward name when I went on to high school where the teachers didn't know me they would often ask how to pronounce the name. Some people still keep the 'bow of a boat' pronunciation that came from Baumann and other variations.

French names didn't do any better, with some being a straight translation. LeBlanc often became White in the Land of the Free and so forth.

Reply to
rbowman

Juries then would consist of retired old farts with nothing better to do. Some companies will continue to pay you if you're on jury duty but for most people it means taking vacation days. iirc I got paid based on the RT mileage to the courthouse, about $25. I'm salaried so it was no big deal but if you're flipping burgers at Mickey D's it sucks.

Reply to
rbowman

I was surprised to have made it through the voir dire. There is a special category of assault laws if the person you punched out is a family member. I questioned the lawyer why assault isn't assault, period, without special casing it. Hardly a friendly question since he was going for the domestic version.

I certainly am not in favor of beating your wife whether she needs it or not but it sometimes goes overboard. If, during a heated argument someone calls the cops, and when they come if they arrest anyone it will be the husband. Cops hate domestics since no matter how it plays out they're the bad guys. The good ones can talk everyone down; the bad one arrest somebody.

I had a cousin who went out on a domestic call. The wife was preparing supper and threw a flounder at the husband. The husband, having prior experience, ducked and my cousin caught the fish in the face. Shortly after that he got a job in a quiet little suburban town. Pay wasn't as good but he wasn't going into battle zones all the time.

Reply to
rbowman

I agree with the law. Hitting a stranger is worse than hitting someone you know.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They should pay a decent wage then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

With seatbelts in cars, I have learned how to put it on before they spot me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've gotten into the habit of putting the seat belt on. It's easier than defeating all the annoying buzzing and flashing.

otoh, I've walked away from three totals and I wasn't wearing a belt for any of them. Someone else was driving in two cases; I make a very bad passenger.

Reply to
rbowman

Robots, my man, robots... I don't eat at Mickeys and the like but I understand they've went to kiosks where you do your own ordering and payment. I suppose it beats dealing with a bubblegummer with a marginal command of English.

Reply to
rbowman

You've got it backwards. Clocking your spouse gets a worse penalty that punching some random stranger.

Reply to
rbowman