OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

Never had this myself as I live in a culdesac without through traffic, but I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man throwing litter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He told me the council is constantly refusing to collect his bin as it has the wrong things in it. Last week it was a half eaten bread roll. Is this a common problem and how do you get round it? Educate the f****it binmen? I saw for myself his bin was full of paper and cardboard as it should be, with a small amount of litter shoved in the top, clearly from passersby.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 9:52:50 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote :

t I was walking along a long street today and saw an angry man throwing lit ter out of his recycling bin on to the street. He told me the council is c onstantly refusing to collect his bin as it has the wrong things in it. La st week it was a half eaten bread roll. Is this a common problem and how d o you get round it? Educate the f****it binmen? I saw for myself his bin was full of paper and cardboard as it should be, with a small amount of lit ter shoved in the top, clearly from passersby.

Not a problem here. Passersby (generally in cars or trucks) just throw their litter on the ground.

90% of the foot traffic on my road is people exercising, and they're not inclined to litter. I have to admire their courage, though, because traffic often is doing 100 kph down the road, in defiance of the 72 kph speed limit.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

100 isn't much more than 72. My town has a 48kph limit on the main roads and a 32kph limit on residential streets. I drive at 96 and 80kph = 48kph over, because more than that gets you a driving ban, anything lower is just a fine.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm reminded of an Englishman living in Geneva who told me the story that he hated it there because of the correctness of the Swiss. His apartment's dumpster was full and he put his trash in a neighboring apartments bin which resulted in him getting a visit from the police.

Just as bad all over today.

Reply to
Frank

That's absurd! Also strange, as the Swiss are pacifists are they not? They never go to war. And isn't Geneva that place they came up with that softy nonsense called the Geneva convention? Be nice to the enemy and all that trollop?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

This was nearly 25 years ago and now we are all slaves to putting our trash in the proper container.

Reply to
Frank

I think the correct way to deal with the situation is to have the landlord increase the trash bin size, rather than imposing on another building. This all costs money.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

But it doesn't have to be our own. I have to sort rubbish from recyclables, but nobody cares if I use my neighbour's bin.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's not imposing anything. It's all collected by the same council bin lorry. Who cares which one the rubbish is in?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The one who has to pay for the capacity to handle someone else's rubbish.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

You pay per size?! What kind of backwards country do you live in? Everyone in the UK gets the same bin. It's included in the local taxes. You'll be telling me you have metered internet connections next.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

He said it was an apartment's bin. I imagine they pay by size, just as we do. Otherwise, I doubt it would have been an issue in the first place. Think much?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

No they do not. What a fool you really are Hucker.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Not that I really care about chavs in flats, but there's no reason for it to be any different. The council supplies one wheelybin per house. If it's flats, they should supply the equivalent number of large bins for the number of addresses they serve. The landlord has nothing to do with it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There are places in the U.S. where the government does not get involved in any sort of rubbish collection. Residents and businesses must arrange to dispose of their trash themselves.

My previous house was located in such a place, and it was not much (if any) less urban/suburban than where I live now. I contracted with a trash hauler to come once a week and empty my bins, which I purchased myself at the hardware store. The idiot who lived behind me burned his trash, including plastics. We always hoped we'd be upwind on those days when he decided he'd accumulated enough to make it worthwhile to burn.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I'd not say he was an idiot, he was being enterprising. If your government can't organise a civilised rubbish collection he's going to get rid of it in the cheapest way possible. Do you not have a problem with fly tipping in your area?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

He was inconsiderate, burning plastic in a populated area. The smell was atrocious.

In my current area, all municipalities provide trash collection service for residences, and owners of commercial properties (including apartment owners) are required to have legal disposal facilities. I imagine illegal waste disposal happens, but it's not all that common.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Residential customers can set anything they want out by the curb and it gets hauled away for the same hit as everyone else from the tax man. It is commercial/multifamily places with dumpsters who pay by the pickup and size of the dumpster (a huge bin from ~5 up to 30 cubic yards). We have 3 separate pickups every week (Trash, recycle and horticulture) plus a special pickup for anything the trash man can't take like old refrigerators. I do think recycling is mostly just a feel good, make work project for people too dumb to do much more than sort the trash. The money they make on the aluminum cans does not come close to paying for the operation and the rest of the stuff is useless, costing more to ship than the value it returns unless you are very close to the plant that can use it. Our plastic gets shipped about 1000 miles, the paper may be recycled a little closer if it is done at all and the glass is just trash. The aluminum is valuable and the steel may return the cost of processing, the glass should go to the landfill with the trash and the rest should just be burned in the waste to energy incinerator.

If we were going to do a reasonable curb side sort, it would be metal, things that burn and then everything else.

Reply to
gfretwell

Inconsiderate is your government not collecting the rubbish. I expect that sort of thing to happen in 3rd world countries like India.

Well it won't if the government collects it as they should.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think it is incredibly stupid to have all these extra trucks running around to pick up different bins. Recycling can best be done at the dump. Take the container and truck and operator costs and just put sorters at the dump. It is done in some municipalities. I have 2 containers here but neighbor with place in Florida say they have 5 at their home there. Recycles have to be cleaned and sorted at the dump anyway.

Reply to
Frank