OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

This looks promising.

Taxed and Spent

I was thinking of offices. The "paperless office" is a joke.

If it's on YOUR Kindle, they can't stop you keeping it.

If I had such a device with me anyway, not taking a book (or especially more than one) would save luggage space. But if I want one book with me and have no device, I'd just take the book.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Please post a youtube video of you falling into the river while attempting to do so.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Offices are not paperless but there is certainly a lot less paper and a lot fewer "offices", at least here. Companies have been eliminating administrative staff for about 30 years, replacing them with computer operations. IBM Ft Myers was 58 people in 1987, it is 2 now with a few more "contractors" all working from their home. Even the ubiquitous "check" is not being processed as paper much anymore. These days there are plenty of merchants who just scan the MICR line and hand you the check back. When they do actually send the check to the bank, it is imaged and destroyed. Your bank statement will just have a picture of the check and you may just be looking at it on line, not on a paper statement.

2o years ago the Bank of America closed their regional bank processing center here because there was not enough paper flowing through there to justify those jobs.

... but the DRM on that Kindle can stop you from reading it.

The difference is you can get just about any book you want online. You have a whole library in your pocket. My wife uses her Android tablet for books and they are also shared with her phone.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am sure if I did, my wife would be happy to post the video but it hasn't happened yet

Reply to
gfretwell

No big deal. No novel chemistry and it does involve combustion.

Reply to
Frank

Apparently the library puts something into the book software that shuts it down after two weeks.

With the internet, I have not been to the library for years. I used to go for technical issues but now have a client paid subscription to these issues on line.

Kindle is very readable under all lighting conditions but a 500 page book may take 2,000 Kindle pages as all type is legible. Good for older eyes.

Reply to
Frank

That is correct. Our dump does not take polystyrene or plastic bags. I'm inclined not to throw something like a small plastic aspirin bottle in the recycle can as they may not be able to handle it. In food packaging you also find products made from mixed plastics that cannot be recycled.

I'm not sure of the constitution of PE in milk bottles but do know that some PE contains a comonomer that limits photostability. I know it was used in those PE rings for 6 packs of beer. A few days in full sunlight would degrade the polymer making it safe for wildlife that might swallow it. I recall and discussed when Trex first came out it used recycle PE which I thought was a bad idea. It was not light stable and has since been corrected by a PVC coating.

Reply to
Frank

Good grief! What have you done to Mr. Sword? He would never want to be dependent on the government.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Did you know that the lazy tosser tried to sign on for long term disability and got f***ed off? Well, you do now. Hucker is a benefit claiming scumbag and always will be.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Then download the crack for it, or tell the library to go f*ck themselves. Taking the book away from you is THEFT. It's data on YOUR device, it belongs to YOU.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My council used to take type 1 and 2 plastics only, now it says anything. They even take the chassis of a Flymo for goodness sake. I guess they have a very good sorting system, or use it for something where the type doesn't matter.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My council says to squash bottles to save space in the bin. But I don't bother. Once it's in the lorry, it has a compacter anyway.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Do you carry some sort of net to drag things to the edge? Or does the litter naturally float to the edge where you can pick it up?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Don't use any company that prohibits you using your own data. Or better yet, install a workaround.

I guess I might if I read a lot of books. I rarely read any. I only take one or two if I'm going somewhere where I'll have f*ck all to do for hours.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Doesn't make sense. Garden ten times bigger, ten times the stuff to compost, but ten times the need for that compost.

I maxed out my 54Mbit line 24/7 for many months from Piratebay until I ran out of disk space. I now have a lot of TV and movies to watch.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There's a few companies here which will take my washing machine etc for free. I just phone them, leave it in my drive, and it goes away. Or you can just stick an ad on Gumtrees saying "scrap metal", and someone will take it.

Ours gets inspected and if there's a big problem, we all get a leaflet telling us how we can sort better. If it's a problem with a few households not following the rules, they don't empty the bin.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I know you are talking PET and PE but others may not recognize by number:

Frank

It's stamped on the plastic, a triangle with a number in it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Must be big guys, I doubt I could lift mine when it's full. they also don't have handles in the right places to get hold of it in that way:

._SY450_.jpg

The neighbouring county to mine has bins suitable for those lifts, but I've never seen one in action. Not sure if they still use them. All I found is this:

Dunno when that photo was taken, and it looks like there's a man involved anyway, so pointless.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword