OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

I dislike companies throwing their weekly "newspapers" and shoppers on my lawn. I've generally had good results calling the circulation manager personally and asking him to get his carrier (often a self-employed contract worker) quit doing it.

If that doesn't work, I call or write the publisher to let him know that my previous request have gone unheeded. I remind him that according to county code, what they're doing is in fact littering. I politely tell him that if it doesn't stop, I'll email a picture to the county zoning enforcement department and file a complaint. That pretty much takes care of it.

I've only had to file one complaint and they were hit with a $250 fine and cleaned up their act. Once in a while though when a sub is driving the route, I'll find one in my yard.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

In the UK we're more civilised, junk mail and papers come through the letterbox. Why can't your delivery guys put it in the mailbox?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Just like the stereo-typical old woman yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn.

News flash, you have become your grandmother.... ;-)

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Correction: "her lawn".

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Oh, you're going to love this one. It's illegal to put anything in a mailbox that wasn't delivered by the U.S. Post Office.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

If it's legal for AdvertisingRag to dump their garbage on your lawn, take your garbage and dump it on AdvertisingRag's lawn.

Reply to
Trumpster

I am in my boat

Reply to
gfretwell

We don't have a garden. This is just trimming the trees. Stuff just grows a lot faster here.

Reply to
gfretwell

Nobody is driving around picking up scrap for profit these days like they used to here. That is all I know.

Inspected by whom? The guys on the truck certainly are not picking through a 65 gallon bin, particularly if it is the truck with the grabber, run by the driver. He goes as fast as he can because when his route is done, he is done for the day.

Reply to
gfretwell

Our "Toter" bins have the round handles in front and back that the lifter uses plus the handle at the top for rolling it around. They grab it some way and roll it into the truck If it is too heavy they use the lifter.

When they have the truck with the grabber, there is only one guy in the truck. If the bin has fallen over or too far from the road, he has to get out and set it where he can get it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Here we put an old washing machine on the tree lawn with a "For Sale $200" sign and some sticky-fingered democrat will haul it away after dark.

Reply to
Trumpster

They don't pay postage on these shopper papers. It is illegal to put anything in a mail box unless you are the postman.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 16:12:35 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

ote:

letterbox. Why can't your delivery guys put it in the mailbox?

ce mail delivery person(formerly mailman) to put anything in a mailbox. = Junk mail is delivered by the mail carriers and is a revenue stream for = the Postal Service. Wall mounted mailboxes next to the front door usuall= y have a rack underneath for a rolled up newspaper. Rural routes will of= ten have a separate box for newspapers. When I was a kid, I delivered ne= wspapers and usually tossed them in a customer's front yard. Where/when = I grew up, it was unusual for anyone to have their newspaper stolen from= their front lawn after it was delivered because people had respect for = the property of others. These days, depending on the neighborhood, nothi= ng can be left out in the open or left unlocked, even mailboxes. Mail th= eft used to be unheard of when I was a kid. I grew up in a different era= . =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

I don't believe you. No country would be stupid enough to have that law= . What about flyers delivered by a local gardener for example?

-- =

Experience is what you got by not having it when you need it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

[...]

Oh my god, your country is unbelievably f***ed up!

YOU buy a mailbox, then the postal service states what you can and canno= t do with it? Land of the free my ass. That's the kind of over the top= shit I'd expect in Germany or Switzerland.

-- =

[...]

What you need to do is have two mailboxes then. One marked US Mail, and= the other marked "everyone else". Don't you have couriers over there? = Surely every parcel doesn't come by one carrier?

-- =

[...]

Isn't that one of those stupid laws that everyone ignores like it being = illegal to put money into someone else's parking meter?

-- =

Experience is what you got by not having it when you need it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's YOUR mailbox. The US Postal Service should have no say in what goes in it. Basically you appear to have a law with the sole intention of increasing their revenue. It's as insane as our TV license, which is paid to only one TV provider (the BBC), whether we watch their channels or not, the rest of the companies have to make money by advertising, or their own additional fees. Laws should protect people from other people, not help out companies.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Which you never will... I'm reminded of functionally illiterate people who suck down all the pirated ebooks they can find because they are free.

Reply to
rbowman

I do actually get through quite a lot of TV.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm surprised the health and softy brigade doesn't force them to use the lift incase they hurt their backs.

Here they'd just leave it, or he'd get out and put a little note on it warning the owner of the bin that they aren't putting it in the right place.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword