OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

I often hear a guy driving around in a van shouting "Any old scrap metal?"

Ours "inspect" the bin by peering into it. They just lift the lid and glance at the contents. They have to, as the morons in the council estates often put anything in any bin. If they can see a load of waste in the recycling bin, they don't collect it and put a big red sticker on the handle saying "wrong items".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It depends more on what you have in your garden, not how big it is. If you have flowerbeds, you use compost.

I'm lazy, I shove all the garden waste into the bin, then I go to the tip and collect the free compost that they provide back from rotting it for me. It also means I don't use up a lot of space with composting bins.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ah, I didn't realise a boat was involved.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why bother? Library would be messing with copy write laws if they just let you down load the book. The online books are treated as if they were a paper book and they only loan out so many copies at the same time. You might have to get on a waiting list if all the copies are on loan. People do steal books and give them away on the internet but you get them at your own risk as they are often virus laden. It is actually not your data even if on your device. I've heard there was an issue about this with music downloaded from Apple.

I like paper books and never buy new but go to a trading store where book trade may cost me $2 but the book is mine to keep. It might take me a week to a couple of months to read a book depending on time of year and what I'm doing.

Reply to
Frank

You surely have more than one postal service? Where do the others leave stuff? I know you've got FedEx etc...

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I can't believe throwing litter into people's gardens is allowed in the US, but not slotting them neatly into the mailbox. Seriously, your country really needs sorting out.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I know but just giving numbers here does not mean that everyone remembers them and what they refer to.

Reply to
Frank

Fuck the copyright laws. All they have to do is make a feeble attempt to stop you. If you get around it, you've broken the silly law, not the library.

Now that is seriously deranged. Why can't they loan out more of them?

Er.... it's plain text. that's like saying you can have a virus in a jpeg.

That might be the way the law looks at it, but it's illogical. If it's in your hands in your house, it's yours.

Crazy. It's illegal to copy a book, but not illegal to read it, sell it on, read it, sell it on, etc, etc. Same end result - the publisher only sold it once and many folk read it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I didn't expect anyone to. I was just pointing out that the severe restriction on what they could recycle has been lifted.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You better believe it. Besides I don't want people cramming junk into my mail box. Bad enough it is in the mail. My mailman was horrified when I told him I did not want junk mail and he could throw it in the creek below us. That is their main revenue source.

Reply to
Frank

In my case, FedEx and UPS leave packages at the back door. We've got a table next to the back door (mainly for our convenience), and they'll place packages on it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Why would you care if it's delivered by the mailman or by individuals? = The law is only increasing revenue for one company. It's not protectin= g you from anything.

-- =

I find it ironic that the colours red, white, and blue stand for freedom= , until they're flashing behind you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Large ones, yes. Mine go in my shed. But I'm thinking of things like jiffy bags that can go in a mailbox.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 18:40:15 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

the letterbox. Why can't your delivery guys put it in the mailbox?

rvice mail delivery person(formerly mailman) to put anything in a mailbo= x. Junk mail is delivered by the mail carriers and is a revenue stream f= or the Postal Service. Wall mounted mailboxes next to the front door usu= ally have a rack underneath for a rolled up newspaper. Rural routes will= often have a separate box for newspapers. When I was a kid, I delivered= newspapers and usually tossed them in a customer's front yard. Where/wh= en I grew up, it was unusual for anyone to have their newspaper stolen f= rom their front lawn after it was delivered because people had respect f= or the property of others. These days, depending on the neighborhood, no= thing can be left out in the open or left unlocked, even mailboxes. Mail= theft used to be unheard of when I was a kid. I grew up in a different = era. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

nnot do with it? Land of the free my ass. That's the kind of over the = top shit I'd expect in Germany or Switzerland.

il fraud, tampering or theft is a serious crime. The laws are meant to p= rotect the citizenry. Our postal service was started by the founders of = The United States with Ben Franklin being the first Postmaster General. = =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

Er..... surely the mail can only go INTO the box. You can only get it o= ut with your key. So mail cannot be tampered with.

Of course if you had a proper postal service like ours, the letters woul= d go through the slot in your front door.

-- =

If European immigrants voluntarily went to America and it turned out lik= e that, how come Britain sent a load of convicts to Australia and it turned out = better?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Because mail I want is often mixed up with the junk. The junk is also delivered loose and stuff can fall out. I just got my mail and fixed the lever on my toilet that was delivered by US mail.

On topic for those that have had to fix toilets, the Toto handle on the side has a special ratcheting action and regular handles won't work.

Reply to
Frank

I have neighbors out back where mail slot is 700 ft from the road. Neighbor down the road has a 0.4 mile walk to mail box. Mines maybe 125 ft walk. There is no key on my mailbox. My son a mile away lives in a townhouse but mailboxes are all grouped together and are keyed.

Reply to
Frank

Please tell that to those breaking down our doors to live here. We have to build walls to keep them out.

Reply to
Frank

The postal employee can throw them on the ground or actually file a complaint. Occasionally I will put my community association flyers in mail boxes but only after the mail man has been there and if I know the people will be likely to get it before the next day. Otherwise you stuff it in the door jamb.

Reply to
gfretwell

Some people do.

Reply to
gfretwell

That might not work here unless you speak Spanish. They do have a red sticker they put on things but that is just saying the "large item" truck will be along to get it. I have seen the horticulture truck refuse to take something that is too big or not bundled up properly but that pretty much has to be a whole tree trunk or a huge pile of sticks and limbs. I think they say it has to be less than 50-60 pounds and less than 5' long. There is an exception for palm fronds. They take them as is.

Reply to
gfretwell