new home repair group; used to be the BEST group on google; volunteers ?

This used to be THE best group on google. THE BEST. If you've been around for 10 years you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm retired now and thinking about creating a monitored/subscribed alternative to this group.

This group is fine, but it's cluttered with political messages and random chit chat. Again, fine, if that's what you want.

I like to know if there are a few volunteers out there that might what to dedicate a few hours each week to administer a new board. Anyone?

Send mail to drillbrain80 at yahoo dot com

Reply to
oldyork90

Never heard of you. How long have you been here?

Reply to
Thomas

+1

Plus, it's on Usenet, not "google" and Usenet has been slowly dying for years, replaced by other forums, so I doubt a new group is going to make a big difference.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm confused, is your email address: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
confused

You seem to know things. I'll be back for tips. It's something to do. I'll love to see the old 'fix it' dialog back.

Reply to
oldyork90

I think that perhaps snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com was attempting to kludge his email address to protect it from bots ... Is that correct snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ? Regards ; drillbrain 79

Reply to
hubops

Getting a moderated newsgroup going can be painful.

If you are tech savvy and don't mind fiddling around you can set up your own moderation address. We used STUMP, which is a turnkey operation with an easy to use interface. It $360 a year but there were several of us who split the expenses.

It definitely got rid of the trolls but also eliminated the traffic. After a few years we gave up on it.

Given that Yahoo is in flux their groups are iffy. There are a number of sites hosting forums that provide a cookbook template to set up your group with varying fees. It really depends on how much you want to play with it and what level of traffic you will be satisfied with.

Reply to
rbowman

It's really not much fun being a moderator, either. There is always someone who isn't going to be happy with how the mod chooses to run the group.

Reply to
Muggles

I'm sure assholes such yourself who have ruined this group with your flood of O.T. posts will find a way to fk up any new group also with constant nym shifts and other methods. You and your kind are the New America: Destructive, thoughtless bastards who think of nothing else but yourselves and what you want. Your kind are incapable of following any rules respecting the integrity of Usenet group conventions.

Yes, I know your reply, asshole: "Don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out."

Nothing changes in regard to spoiled brats.

Reply to
Carney-Who?

I think it is like grass vs weeds.

The best thing to do is encourage and respond to on topic posts, and ignore or kill file off topic posters.

makolber