OT: Bins with other people's wrong stuff in them

No drive by hit them with baseball bats?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nobody wants to bring a baseball bat to a gun fight.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you're driving past, you're unlikely to get shot. Harder to hit a moving target. Anyway, why would someone be sat with their gun ready to fire towards their mailbox?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Maybe, if it got destroyed often enough. :-) The reality is, that is a pretty rare occurrence and people will try pretty hard to catch the kids doing it. Bear in mind it is a federal crime but it will usually be prosecuted as a vandalism charge. There are people who make their mailboxes too tough to break but that is usually about cars, not baseball bats.

Reply to
gfretwell

Only people unfamiliar with guns call a loaded cartridge a "bullet". The bullet is just the projectile. The entire assembly with powder, primer, case and bullet is a cartridge.

Reply to
gfretwell

You make your mailboxes strong enough to withstand the impact of a crashing car? Holy shit what are they made of?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That would probably contravene health and softy regulations here. Everything must be made to protect the f****it who crashed his car into it. Streetlamps must bend etc.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Usually you will be reusing the fired case, putting in new components. Cost is one consideration, it is cheaper to reload in many cases, particularly if it is not a very popular caliber. If you are shooting a very popular (usually military) caliber, factory ammo may very well be cheaper than you could ever reload yourself. The other issue is you can customize your load, compared to what is commercially available. That goes both ways. A lot of target shooters will use a very light load. Hunters or people interested in serious defense ammo will load up rounds hotter than the normal factory load. You also get different performance with different weights and designs of bullets and by using different powders in various amounts. It is something that has to be done with a lot of caution and attention to detail.

Reply to
gfretwell

One of my friends used a 6" steel box beam, buried 5' in the ground and filled with concrete for the post and then I welded another metal box on top that he set the USPS approved mail box in. It took a direct hit from a car without much more than scratched paint. The car, not so much.

Reply to
gfretwell

These guys will buy back their empty cases.

gfretwell

Sounds pretty sturdy, but I'd expect a car to be made of stuff at least that strong!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When I read "hotter than the normal factory load" my first thought was that the gun may blow up. Do you have to watch the specs of the gun?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes. Firearms in general are conservatively designed but you can destroy them.

rbowman

Looks like he also defeated the bulletproof vest.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yah, kids today are to fat to walk that far. LOL

Reply to
ralph

If you're really concerned you put the mailbox on a horizontally pivoted arm with a counterweight.

Reply to
rbowman

Then get sued by the f****it USPS because the postman tripped and fell against it, it swung over and back, then knocked him unconscious on the rebound.

Is it really true that you guys actually sue each other if you haven't cleared your OWN driveway and someone ELSE falls?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I thought Merkins had always been fat?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There are many many litigious assholes in this country. As Dick the Butcher said to Jack Cade...

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, and all you need is a lawyer and 12 stupid jurors.

Reply to
Herb Bisside