OT: American drivers and pedal confusion

Why do I constantly hear of Americans confusing the brake and accelerator. Yet Brits never do so. Why? Some kind of coordination problem between left and right?

For example:

"Two staff members and four dogs were behind the front desk when the driver put her foot down on the accelerator instead of the brake."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Just a guess, more US cars have automatic transmissions than in Europe. If you hit the wrong pedal with your right foot while the clutch is in, not a big deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Eh? Autos have less pedals, less likelihood of confusion. (I've driven three autos myself).

And why would the clutch be in? I don't press the clutch when I brake, it makes the wheels more likely to lock. I only operate the clutch when the car is about to stop.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I wonder if there are any sort of statistics on that. Is the spacing of pedals in cars with automatic transmissions on both sides of the pond consistent? I haven't been in driver's ed for years. Are people taught to use the same foot for acceleration and braking? It's not the Russians this time but the Japanese.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Quite often in these cases, the driver was drunk or really too old to drive. Gun injuries and fatalities are a drop in the bucket compared to impaired drivers.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I've had three autos in the UK. The pedals are spaced the same, but the brake is wider than a manual (making it less likely to hit the accelerator instead). Yes, we are supposed to use the same foot for both, and I do (except in the Range Rover which kept stalling so I had to use both at once).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But I never hear of UK drivers "confusing the pedals".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Stiff upper lip, decorum, and all that?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Or a better brain.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's not common here either unless, as noted, the driver is drunk or panicking.

Reply to
Meanie

No, almost every news article I've read is a middle aged person with no drugs or other problems (usually a woman). Two pedals and you can't distinguish them?!? How do you guys fly fighter jets? Oh yeah.... friendly fire.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It is just an excuse for the cops. These are doddering old people or folks stoned to the bezesus and they have to say something when they drive through the front window of the Starbucks

Reply to
gfretwell

Funny, I can select the correct pedal when under the influence. They must have weak minds.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I would assume so but I started driving with a manual transmission. The only time I've used my left foot on the brake is when transitioning to an automatic, trying to throw out the clutch while stopping, and hitting the brake. That's always interesting.

I've also used the heel and toe technique but I don't think that's taught widely.

Reply to
rbowman

Picking up or dropping off a pet at a companion animal hospital? That leads to all sorts of interesting speculation.

Reply to
rbowman

I am English by blood and have never worn a kilt in my life.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Of course, you never hear in the news about all of the Americans who can find the correct pedal while under the influence. It's not newsworthy.

"Old lady failed to ram building. No film at 11."

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

But I hear of plenty Americans who get the wrong pedal, yet zero Brits who get it wrong. The only difference is you sit on the other side of the car, but I don't see why that should change anything. So either Americans are stupid, or your media is different.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Choose the latter. Bet accident rate is higher for folks driving on the wrong side of the road.

Reply to
Frank

I don't see why it matters as long as they're all on the same side.

Mind you left seems more logical to me, as we read from the left.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword