What are holes in mitre saw fence for?

I have a Delta compound mitre saw, there are holes in the fence which I ass ume must be there for something - an accessory of some sort but I don't fin d any reference to this. The owner's manual doesn't mention anything. Below is a link to a closeup view of a similar model where the holes are clearly visible.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

brassplyer

Use them to screw on a taller fence if you need one. That's what they are for.

Reply to
Vic Smith

ssume must be there for something - an accessory of some sort but I don't f ind any reference to this. The owner's manual doesn't mention anything. Bel ow is a link to a closeup view of a similar model where the holes are clear ly visible.

They are there so that you can attach an auxiliary fence, such as a zero-cl earance fence.

A zero clearance fence is a fence with no gap around the blade. It prevents tear out at the back of the board being cut. If you attached a single long piece of woo f with screws through those holes and then cut through it with the blade, the opening wil l be the exact same width as the saw kerf. This will provide support to the board that you want to cut cleanly. Mark each side so you can remove and reinstall as needed.

You can also make a zero clearance insert for the base of the saw to preven t tearout under the board being cut.

Google 'zero clearance fence (or insert) for miter saw' for more info and v ideos.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

assume must be there for something - an accessory of some sort but I don't find any reference to this. The owner's manual doesn't mention anything. Be low is a link to a closeup view of a similar model where the holes are clea rly visible.

That's *one* of the things they are for. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The holes are so you can fasten on a fooden face to the fence. Usually as a "fence stretcher"

Reply to
clare

assume must be there for something - an accessory of some sort but I don't find any reference to this. The owner's manual doesn't mention anything. Be low is a link to a closeup view of a similar model where the holes are clea rly visible.

Usually? If you mean "stretcher" in the vertical direction, then maybe.

In my experience, the holes are "usually" used for a taller fence or a zero clearance fence, not a longer fence.

When a longer fence is required, it is "usually" used as part a miter saw station with the original fence of the miter saw (or an auxiliary fence of the same length as the original) flush with the miter station's longer fence.

I did an image search for 'miter saw fence extension' and 'miter saw fence stretcher' and had a really hard time finding images of long fences attache d directly to the original. Kreg carries a "Trak & Stop System" which include s plans for a long fence that is attached to the original fence, but that's a rare case and done mainly to ensure the accuracy of the Stop's measuring tape.

I'm not sure "usually" applies to the use of the holes when discussing a fence extension.

Reply to
DerbyDad03