OT: American drivers and pedal confusion

If you try to press the clutch in an auto (and I've never found myself being that stupid, after all I'm not an American), you'll just press the carpet. There's a gap where the clutch isn't.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Does it? Loose dog grabbed the wheel?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Never have seen a car made for another country. For the England style car, where are the break, gas,clutch if there is one, and gear shifter ? More to the point when sitting in the driver seat is the gas still to the right of the brake ?

What about the gear shift, both on the colume and on the floor ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't know about the newer US cars but the automatics used to have a very wide brake pedal that extended to the area where the clutch pedal would be in a manual.

Reply to
rbowman

AFAIK it's identical to the USA, except on the other side of the car. It's still (for a manual) clutch on the left, brake in the middle, accelerator on the right. For an auto, the clutch is missing, the other two pedals remain in the same place.

The gear shifts are also the same, either in the centre of the car next to your knee, or on the steering column (to the left of it). Presumably in America the column shifts are on the right so you don't bash your hand on the window.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mine were all twice as wide (which I never saw the point in - why should an auto need a bigger brake pedal?), but there was still loads of space where the clutch wasn't. Any attempt to press the clutch with my left foot and I just pressed the carpet.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

James Wilkinson Sword:

  1. Higher rate of dyslexia here? Leads to...

  1. On/Off-ramp confusion, esp. on parkways!

Reply to
thekmanrocks
+1 It's a deep hole and they can't stop digging....
Reply to
Tekkie?

Most Americans have no difficulty.

Well, Brits frequently drive on the wrong side of the road. :-)

But we Americans just take it in stride.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

You are right about impaired drivers.

Those who drive and use cell phones are more impaired than drunk or stoned drivers.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yet they do it 100 times more often than us.

No, you do.

FFS who cares what side it is, as long as everyone in the country does the same?

What?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Bullshit. Driving already requires doing about 5 things at once. Adding a sixth (a phone) will not cause a problem.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You are officially stupider than us!

James Wilkinson Sword

Show me an example on google street view.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Draw your own conclusions. The crazy fat kid could target a few US cities and improve the national IQ considerably.

Reply to
rbowman

Here's one:

The place where I shop for groceries is just to the right.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Another:

'46.1%22N+114%C2%B002'02.9%22W/@46.8961539,-114.0346975,174m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d46.896153!4d-114.034149

It's common for eastbound drivers to turn onto Railroad, and westbound to turn onto Great Northern. That leaves about 250' of middle turn lane to be shared. Since traffic is moving at 45 mph that gives about 4 seconds to sort it out.

Reply to
rbowman

That's a good one. We've got a few like that, but mostly roads around here are laid out on a grid (except for a few that follow old Indian trails).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Streets here are also laid out on a grid, or I should say two different grids:

Besides the slant streets a couple of rivers and two perpendicular sets of railroad tracks keep things interesting. The north/south branch gets very little use but it does mean many of the east/west streets don't go all the way through.

Then there is the South Hills. The roads wrap around the hills and canyons with many cul-de-sacs. I definitely use a GPS in that area.

Still, it has nothing on Boston which was laid out around a square that has five sides.

Reply to
rbowman

I used one of those in my busted old Peugeot once. The accelerator cable had come a little loose or stretched, and I couldn't give it full power. I was going about 20mph up a hill. Lorries were getting very annoyed at having to overtake me in the normal lane. You'd think they'd have realised that my car was ill.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword