Karma - Several kitchen plumbing problems

Several kitchen plumbing problems: 1. replace leaking faucet;

2.repair/replace dishwasher; 3. ditto disposal.

Ewww! Priority is faucet; don't want rot, etc. problems below the sink. Bought faucet and called a new plumber for an estimate. (His son had snaked my bathroom sink very inexpensively; had a good presence, whereas former plumber was a little weird.)

Plumber (they are Indian from Fiji) quoted a good price for installing faucet, after carefully inspecting all parts to see if they fit. Will install next week.

Said the dishwasher was kaput, which I knew.

Re: disposal , former plumber said months ago that there was a rattle in there; disposal was kaput; quoted pretty stiff price (I think?) for disposal + installation. It wasn't very old; got VERY light wear.??? Whatever...

NEW plumber stuck his hand down and fished out a piece of plastic that had been making the rattle. Disposal works fine! Now I am beating myself up for taking former plumber's word w/o checking myself!

We had a nice chat about Hindu gods, the Indian diaspora to Fiji, Kenya, many other places. He said taking care of people is his karma. Ex: He called to say he was running late; got soaked doing an outside job in pouring rain; had to go home & change. Who bothers to call like that any more??!!!

I have often noticed that many foreign-born have more concept of the dignity of giving good service than native-born. Have found this true of shops, restaurants, all kinds of businesses.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Remember to tell him how much you appreciate his work and be sure to tell all your friends and acquaintances how great he and his son are.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hmmm, Different cultural back ground. Good enough attitude va. best I can. Our HVAC guy is HK born Chinese, works fast and smart. Always charges reasonable fee. He works hard, never wastes time on the job.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Native Americans used to be like that. Take Tonto. Dignity, excellent service, Olympic-class wrestler.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I'd like to think that it's not exclusively the province of the foreign born but sometimes I think that they drive themselves a little harder just because they feel that they have to differentiate themselves from everyone else doing the same job.

Of course, the truth is, if you want to be truly successful, it doesn't matter whether you're foreign born or not, the same principle still applies. The difference between getting a paycheck and actually doing a job.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Good point.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The point is that there are lots of idiots who downplay the risks and dangers of a virus for which humans have no natural immunity. You may have seen a number of those idiots posting here, for example. When they manage to get themselves infected, they tend to change their tune. Funny how that works.

It's extra interesting to me when the subject is a person with a position of some kind, like the Sheriff in this case or the church pastor in other cases. For example, the pastor who insisted that no little virus would stop him from holding services. He promptly got himself infected and he died.

Sometimes a person's greatest contribution to society is to serve as a (bad) example.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

+1

With Trump being a moron and insisting on holding rallies in the middle of a pandemic, we may yet get to see him serve as such an example. Or maybe the hydroxy will protect Dr. Trump.

Speaking of which, this is from yesterday:

"During an interview with Gray Television on Wednesday, Trump said he is not worried about his upcoming rally in Oklahoma because the number of new cases is “very miniscule”.

That is despite data showing an increase in COVID-19 infections in dozens of states including Oklahoma.

Trumps says he is not worried about people getting sick or spreading the virus to others because the rally will require temperature checks.

But face masks… Those are still optional."

The denial and hypocrisy there is really something. What's up with this temperature check? If that works, where are the national guidelines to businesses, stores, govts, mass transit, to be doing that? How about the airport TSA checkpoints? Why aren't we doing temp checks in airports? Instead anything that is being done is up to each airline. Oh, never mind, I know why. It's because we have a feckless moron who is incapable of having a plan and instead relies on denial.

Reply to
trader_4

If he absolutely had to hold a large rally at this time, he could hardly do worse than holding it in Tulsa, one of the nation's hottest hotspots for new virus cases.

Not only that, but he initially wanted to hold it today, June 19th, or Juneteenth as many people call it. Then when one of his Secret Service agents quietly informed him of the racial significance of Juneteenth, he announced that he (Trump!) had made Juneteenth famous and that no one had heard of it before he got involved. That came as news, of course, to the millions of people who had been well aware of Juneteenth for multiple generations.

Trump claims he deserves credit for making Juneteenth 'very famous'

Jim Joyce

In this country we only elect one President at a time. None of those people are currently our President.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Many healthy people are infected and live. Did you think maybe the sheriff wasn't concerned about being infected since contracting it can build antibodies and make one immune? I know several who had it and are fine. It's those with poor health who should be concerned.

Reply to
Hawk

Watch the video from 2:37 to 3:15.  Study the 38 second segment several times until you get it.  Look up their credentials.

Roger Oveur

That is still an open question. I know they are using the non-contact IR guns everywhere these days but nobody knows if an asymptomatic carrier, who might be infectious, will have a temperature. At least I haven't seen any real studies. I have heard skepticism about it tho. The biggest problem I see is we get competing studies with opposite results and both get their day in the sun, usually a week or two apart. It makes people who have an open mind wonder how good any of these studies are. At the end of the day you are left with the old adage "a study is a carefully selected collection of data that proves the point you wanted to make".

Reply to
gfretwell

Along with those who WERE in good health before contracting the disease - who may NEVER be truly "healthy" again in their life.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No its not.

Yes we do, we know that they don't. That's a symptom, stupid.

Then you need to get out more, as always.

< It makes people who have an open mind < wonder how good any of these studies are.

Only for the fools that don't understand how rigorous science works.

< proves the point you wanted to make".

More utterly mindless silly stuff.

And even when temperature checks don't catch the asymptomatic, they do catch most of those who are infected and so are worth testing for this virus even tho most of them will be negative because they has have a cold or the seasonal flu.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Truly "asymptomatics" won't have a temperature because that is - you guessed it - a SYMPTOM. Nor will pre-symptomatics - and often those just headed for the WORST part of the infection can also be fever-free. Often when the primary immunity cycle ends and just before the cytokine storm cycle begins the fever totally "breaks" - just before ALL HELL breaks loose

Reply to
Clare Snyder

True - but nobody knows YET what the longterm effects will be. There are some reports of strange health issues hanging on for MONTHS after testing negative - may continue for years - we don't know. Some may get through it virtually asymptomatic and then have something kick up a year or too later that will be found to be a result of the Covid infection. We don't KNOW yet, but it appears to be quite likely

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I hadn't heard that. What a moron. What a combo of moron, narcissist, and sociopath. I hope Igor gets the correcf brain for the experiments.

He may get credit for making narcissist and sociopath famous, not counting all those who already knew about them.

Reply to
micky

After my temp was 36.5^C for weeks, I had to go to the dentist Tuesday. I had to take off my mask and both the dentist and a tech got up close and personal to my mouth. They both had on the pleated masks, and I was told they took their temps every morning. Big deal.

Temp was normal yesterday, 2 days later, Now it's 36.9^, about 0.7 degree F higher.

On top of that my pc is crashing several times a day and it's hard to know how long it will hold out. I have two laptops and some spare desktops without windows, and I'm ready to buy a new PC if I can figure out what I want, but if I stop posting, either I'm in the hospital or it's a PC problem.

I should have called the dentist today to see if any were sick, and now their office is closed. But I only took my temp 10 minutes ago. So I have to worry until Monday. I'll see if it goes up any more tomorrow, it's still lower than 98.6 which = 37^C.

Reply to
micky

You're looking down, staring at your navel. Instead, look around at the people around you.

People with poor health should be concerned, but everyone else should also be concerned. If you're the model of good health and you aren't concerned for yourself, how about showing the slightest amount of care for the folks around you. Maybe one of them is dealing with a health issue that you aren't aware of. They might appreciate it if you don't infect them.

Reply to
Jim Joyce