Plumber problem

I have a home warranty. The garbage disposal in the kitchen sink went kaput, and I called the warranty company. They dispatched a plumber from their list of contractors. He said the disposal had to be replaced and then called the warranty company to tell them that.

Then he informed me that the drain plumbing under the sinks was not hooked up properly, and he could not put in the new disposal until it was fixed. The warranty would pay for the new disposal, but they would not pay for the plumbing, which would cost $275.00.

There are two sinks side-by-side. The drain from the disposal goes across to join the drain from the other sink, then down to a P trap, then out the back wall to the sewer. All of it is PVC pipe. All the sections of pipe laid end to end would be slightly over 3 feet, and not all of that needed to be replaced.

How does the $275.00 compare with the rest of the country? Was I being gouged?

The rest of the story: I went to the hardware store and paid $17.00 for some PVC sections and joints and installed it myself that night. When the plumber showed up the next morning he had only to install the new disposal. He grudgingly said it looked good and didn't complain about losing his windfall.

Reply to
Prigator

From all the postings here over the past four years, home warranties are a scam. They have high deductables, poor quality labor, and many cluases to shift the cost burden back tot he homeowner. You'd have done better calling a plumber and having the job done by him all the way.

IMO,. yes. Do not renew the warranty and put that premium money in the bank for use when things break. Over the years yo will be way ahead. Ed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Years ago, when I worked for a company that sub-contracted from one of the warranty companies, we were told never to leave the house with out finding something wrong. This was to beon the warranty companies side or the customers. Usually it was the customers problem, due to lack of maintanence.

The money that was made from the warranty companies calls was lower, but they made it up in volume.

Reply to
HeatMan

cluases to

I also have a home warranty. My deductable is low ($45.00) and the 4 of the 5 times I've needed to call I've been happy with the result. This past time it was because the disconnector (?) for my ac unit was shot. He replaced it within a day of the call and the ac runs like a dream now ;)

It just depends on your situation. My furnace is old and getting ready to quit, I'm paying a small amount per month for my warranty so that when it finally does die they can replace it for me. Even if it's a lower end furnace I'll still be able to use the cost of that towards a better one thus getting a better deal on a better unit.

Jen

Reply to
badgirl

If it make you feel warm and fuzzy all over, enjoy the peace of mind. If you look at the situation realistically, it does not pay. What is the purpose and goal of a Home Warranty Company? To make a profit. They must to stay in business. They do that by collecting more money in premiums than they pay out in repairs. That is a pretty simple premise that works for all types of insurance.

A few people may actually come out ahead, but the majority will not. Just like the extended warranty on appliances and automobiles. I bought a CD player and was asked if I wanted the extended warranty. Of course I said no. It broke down after 10 years and would have cost me over $300 to keep it covered. I bought a new one with more features for less than $200

If a major problem comes up in my house, I want control over the specifications for a new piece of equipment and who is going to install it. There are many excellent contractors, but there are many hacks. How much are you paying for the heater warranty? I've been in my house for 22 years and at even $10 a month plus compounded interest, I can buy the new heater and I get to choose what I want. Add to that the premiums for a home warranty, I can take a vacation in Fiji while the job is being done. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I also lose a little money on *every* job I do, but I make up for it in volume too.

Reply to
PhotoMan