New sink - drain parts don't line up

I went to put in the new sink tonight, and the drains on the new are offest (horizontally) from the old. So the disposal and drain from the house, don't line up - they're too widely spaced.

Is this a) something I can deal with by a trip to Home Depot, b) handyguy will do it in 2 hours, or c) call the plumber already?

Thanks, JSH

Reply to
Julie

NOPE! You gotta throw that new sink away and buy another one. (just kidding).

Buy some PVC of the right size, a couple 90 degree and 45 degree elbows and start fitting things together.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

That's normal.

A, B or C - Your choice. Though in my experience, A is usually two trips to Home Depot, three to Ace Hardware and one to the liquor store... :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Jeff - I measure the complexity of my projects by number of trips to the store. I think your probably correct. This could be aproaching a 2 trip job for me. For the OP then a 6 trip job with one to get a beverage is just about right.

I have done jobs as small as Zero trips and as large as 100+ trips.

Reply to
Brikp

In a similar vein I measure the appearance of my front lawn in miles per hour. (The speed at which someone needs to be driving by before they don't notice how bad it looks.)

We've had quite a bit of rain in the last couple of weeks, so the lawn's down to maybe 30 mph now.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"Bob" wrote

Ok ... how do I get the old stuff apart (sure doesn't pry apart), and what kind of sealant/adhesive to put new stuff together?

JSH

If I do it myself: gin/tonic/ice If I end up caving in and calling for help: cosmo

Reply to
Julie

If you have a digital camera, take some pictures and head to the nearest plumbing place and show them. You might get a flexible part that can bridge that distance, or you might have to spend up to $20 for complete replacement of major parts. (Probably much less but trivial anyway, compared to hiring a plumber.) It's an easy fix, really, though physically uncomfortable to lie under the sink messing around with parts.

Make a very detailed drawing if you can't take a picture with you. Add measurements so the plumbing clerk has some idea how far the parts have to stretch, and in which direction.

Reply to
edfan

I am no expert, but we just did our sink by ourselves. Now, assuming your pipes are plastic, once the plastic is glued, you aren't ever getting it apart. Buy appropriate pieces so that you can make the connection without having to chop out the old pieces (some sort of elbow should probably do it for you). If you have to remove old pieces I think you'll need to physically cut the plastic.

The adhesive we used to put the pipes together I believe was called ABS glue. It comes in a metal can with a brush in the lid and is yellow in colour. Follow the instructions on the can, you have to work quickly as it bonds really fast.

From our experience I'd suggest buying duplicates of every piece you need, they are not expensive parts (assuming plastic). Only glue one piece at a time, and check the angles after each piece is connected. If the angle is slightly off after you've glued you can hopefully make up for it with the next connection, or start over with the extras you bought. :-) You can always return any unused pieces.

A non-experts opinion.

Reply to
blue

You can't get the old stuff apart. It is glued (welded) with PVC cement. Use a hack saw and cut it. You attach new PVC as needed using pvc cleaner and cement (available at any hardware store).

Can be a tough job, and if you not sure how to go about it, best to call a plumber.

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote

Yah, thought it might involve some saw I don't own.

As it turns out, called my handy guy pal, he brought his saw, we went to HD, and it's done. Two beers.

And now my BRAND FREAKIN' NEW dishwasher is not draining. New air gap, new drains, everything! Sheesh!

This after some board was *already* replaced last week (fan kept running non-stop). Getting really close to sending this one back to the hades from which it sprang too ...

JSH

Reply to
Julie

"Julie" wrote

Uhmmm. Uhhh. Yes, I did forget to poke out the appropriate hole in the new disposal. Duh!

But it did need a new board last week. Yep, I will be springing for that extended service contract.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

Leave about 3 inches of drainpipe coming out of the wall. Remove all the rest. Measure the old pipe diameter (1.25 or 1.5 inch). Go to Home Depot and buy a good assortment of compression type plumbing (Easily adjustable and nuts finger tighten all joints). Use all the parts you need. Take the rest of the parts back to Home Depot for a refund.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.