Deep-Well Advice Needed

Lately, I'm getting some air in the system. I don't get any water if I release pressure from the tire valve on the pressure tank. On pressure is 28PSI off is 48, and the pressure in membrane with pump off is 27PSI (as best as I can measure). I can hear air when the tank is emptying with the pump off. Can I tell if the membrane is bad or the pump is sucking air somehow (going dry or whatever)?

TIA bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

I'll add the misc.rural group. Plenty of help there probably.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I think the easiest way to check for a bad bladder would be to turn the pump off and drain the system water to zero and leave a faucet open near the pump.

Now measure the pressure tank bladder pressure. It should measure something and you should be able to add more air and the pressure should go up.

If not, the bladder is bad and is letting the air out.

To check for a hole in the pump pipe, one might turn off the main valve at the pump and let the pump, pump up to pressure. It should stay up to pressure and not drop. If the pressure drops, then either the foot valve isn't working or you may have a hole in the pipe. You have to watch out for where check valves are if you do this, as there can't be a check valve at the pump, between the gage and the leak, or it won't let it drain back.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Just to add to that, if the bladder is damaged you'll also find that the pump is cycling off and on much more frequently. Air is compressible and water is not. So when you open a tap the pressure of the water in the tank (static pressure) drops much more rapidly causing the pump to cut in.

Reply to
OldHobo

Ditto - that was the first symptom when my bladder failed. Plus it didn't take long for a rusty tint to show in the water. Evidently they didn't bother painting the inside of the tank since water is not supposed to be in contact with it.

KC

Reply to
KC

  1. Your on/off and precharge pressures are correct.
  2. You will not get water out of that valve unless the bladder is broken.

Sign of a broken bladder is the pump 'short cycling' (turning on and off rapidly).

Dunno where the air comes from, I get some occasionally also.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Good points for an above ground pump. Submerged pumps have a checkvalve at the pump.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

  1. Your on/off and precharge pressures are correct.
  2. You will not get water out of that valve unless the bladder is broken.

Sign of a broken bladder is the pump 'short cycling' (turning on and off rapidly).

Dunno where the air comes from, I get some occasionally also.

Harry K

As do I...Always thought it had something to do with the water softener/filter system...Never worried about it...Everything is almost new...

Reply to
benick

I had changed the water filter about 2 weeks prior...and I get some air after. Can the water heater (NG) expand air into the cold pipes? I haven't had any more issues...thank the Lord!

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

The lord fixes water heaters? Is he listed in the yellow pages? If I'm gonna call someone I want to call the best!

Reply to
Tony
[snip]

I hate it when people "thank the lord" for everything, while ignoring those who actually DO the things.

Reply to
NotX

NotX wrote the following:

The Lord tells people how to do things. I know, because I have a converstion with the Lord all the time, or maybe I'm just talking to myself..

Reply to
willshak

I know he's got a chain of clothing stores, Lord Taylor. So, why not plumbing?

Did you know that God lives in the bathroom? I heard my so, many years back. Dad was banging on the bathroom, and yelling "My God! My God! Are you still in there?"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've gotten enough personal revelation. I know that God is real. Hasn't been deep well advice, yet, but it could easily be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some of the sickest people out there are the stars on all the award shows. They thank gawd for making them a good actor, singer, special effects person, while leaving other people starve. Do these celebrities really think they are above most everyone else because gawd made them so great? Well of course we know Tom Cruise believes he is better than most of us, but he's so f*cked up he doesn't even count as a human.

Reply to
Tony

Odd that they thank him for the good things but never blame him for the bad.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not to start a flame war here...but WE cause the bad...not Him! (In the way that reckless behavior gets you killed.) We know what we are doing...but we do it anyway.

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

So WE don't cause the good? As for the bad, why does He allow the devil to continue.

Wrong forum for this type discussion but the 'thank God' and 'God loves you' grates on the nonreligious persons ears.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

As does atheist's rants about 'no God'. Quite frankly those rants are much more strongly voiced than a "thank God". And as for the wrong forum, right or wrong the issue is so ingrained in each of us that it just naturally comes out no matter what we are discussing. To proselytize in this forum is inappropriate, but to use common everyday language is not.

KC

Reply to
KC

Common everyday language in reply to an atheist not discussing reliegion that "god loves you" is not proper, or even polite. It is wrong on two points of logic to begin with.

  1. YOu do not know if god loves him/her or not.
  2. What right do you have to speak for god?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K