Hard water - not filtered by water board?

Why don't water boards in hard water areas filter the water for you? It would save their own pipes getting scaled up too.
--
I took my Biology exam last Friday. I was asked to name two things commonly found in cells. Apparently "Blacks" and "Scousers" were not the correct answers.

Filtering doesn't remove the lime content of water
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Then WTF is a limescale filter that people fit into their homes? Why not do this filtering earlier?
--
Ederacinism - sexual pleasure derived from the thought of tearing out one's sex organs by the roots.

So yours isn't the type mentioned in this thread (nd presumably in a dishwasher) where you constantly supply several pounds of salt?
--
I am sorry I offended you - I should have lied.

What d'ye mean "breaks it up"? Are there little imps with miniature hammers who swim up and down the pipes chipping bits of limescale off?
--
"Hard" and "Soft" Brexit are code words for Leaving or Staying in the EU,
rather than for the terms of our departure.

I've added <> to your long URL. You're welcome.
Now: how is that thing supposed to work?
--
Lady Astor: "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." Churchill: "If
you were my wife, I'd drink it."

I've heard it said that some have magnets that "line up the water molecules" so they don't deposit on the pipes and on kettle elements. Or some such pseudo-scientific guff.

They might be able to line up the calcium and the carbonate ions, whether that's possible when ions are in solution I don't know. And even if you can, what strength magnet you'd need I don't know either.
--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an

That's not a magic cure for split URLs, it depends on the news client (I think this one handles it properly without angle brackets https://www.screwfix.com/p/liff-electrolytic-in-line-scale-inhibitor-15mm/91448?kpid 448&ds_rl45250&gclid=CjwKCAjwpfzOBRA5EiwAU0ccNwhUZzM1KLZghq60mx8YUtxpv9T7ef8Mbs_kLNmOv6Z3_6kVJQ2j7hoCmccQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN3w0tvF69YCFUYh0wodLlYCQA although this https://www.screwfix.com/p/liff-electrolytic-in-line-scale-inhibitor-15mm/91448 works just as well and is only 79 characters).

Neutralises calcium ions somehow so they don't form calcium carbonate?

If you neutralise them, then:
1) a current must flow, where does that come from?
2) the now neutral calcium atoms would immediately react with the water to produce calcium hydroxide and hydrogen. So you're back where you started: with calcium ions in solution.
--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk
On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 19:30:27 +0100

Dunno, but it's called an electrolytic device ...

Indeed - it's beyond my O-level chemistry to explain, but people seem to think it works and they're probably not all snake-oil enthusiasts.

Plenty 'think' all sorts of shit, but that doesn't make it true.

But plenty are too stupid to work out if the snake oil they pissed their money against the wall on actually does anything and too stupid to admit they were conned too.
Its completely trivial to test if shit like that does what it claims.

How would you test it? Looking for you kettle furring up would take a long time and you'd have to have some way of quantifying how much scale there was n days after installing the device compared with the same time without the device.
You could measure how much soap you need to generate a lather, but that's also rather difficult to quantify.
On 12/10/2017 22:30, NY wrote:

Isn't that how you tell your water softener needs recharging? ISTR you have a special detergent and a little bottle you shake up.
--
Max Demian

No, it's how you tell the hardness of your local water, so you can properly adjust how often the water softener regenerates.
--
"What causes poverty?" Wrong question. Poverty is our primordial state. The
real question is, "What causes wealth?"

I don't know. I've never lived anywhere that had a water softener. I've tended to accept whatever water comes out of the tap.

Run two houses otherwise identical, one with the snake oil device and the other without it, see if it makes any difference to the identical kettles and pipes etc for years.

Sure, but trivial To do. And trivial to automate boiling a kettle every half hour and see if there is any difference after 6 months etc.

Trivial to weigh them before and after the 6 months etc.

Again, easy to automate that test too.
On 12/10/2017 19:30, Tim Streater wrote:
<snip> > 1) a current must flow, where does that come from?
A conductor (water) moving in a magnetic field?
Cheers
--
Clive

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/context
--
I was at an ATM yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could check her balance, so I pushed her over.

Thank you, that may help.