Hard water - not filtered by water board?

Why?

You can buy iodised salt in areas with no iodine deficiency.

Reply to
Max Demian

No, it's how you tell the hardness of your local water, so you can properly adjust how often the water softener regenerates.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was only visiting and it was cheap.

Reply to
mcp

Can you explain that to me please? I would have thought in a healthy human in the UK, an iodine deficiency would result from his dietary choices, not geography.

Reply to
Graham.

Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Reply to
Martin Brown

Like that shit Dasani where they took many gallons of potable London tapwater and turning it into expensive overpriced "bottled water" that wasn't fit to drink because of high bromates. London water couldn't believe their luck when they analysed this new designer product ROFL!

It bombed almost immediately in the UK and never recovered.

Martin Brown

Only if you add a vast excess.

Aluminium sulphate is usually used to flocculate other unwanted fines suspended in the water prior to filtering. Normally both the aluminium and other unwanted contaminants are removed by the filters.

When things go badly wrong at a water treatment plant you can have serious trouble as happened once at Camelford in 1988

Martin Brown

Like hell they do.

Like hell they do.

Reply to
Rod Speed

He doesn't have one.

Neither of you do anything like living.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yep.

Nope.

Basically metal was cheaper.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Run two houses otherwise identical, one with the snake oil device and the other without it, see if it makes any difference to the identical kettles and pipes etc for years.

Sure, but trivial To do. And trivial to automate boiling a kettle every half hour and see if there is any difference after 6 months etc.

Trivial to weigh them before and after the 6 months etc.

Again, easy to automate that test too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I don't know. I've never lived anywhere that had a water softener. I've tended to accept whatever water comes out of the tap.

Reply to
NY

That is true now. But was not true before dairy farmers routinely corrected the geographical deficiency. See Derbyshire neck.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

There's plenty in seaweed, but this isn't part of a normal English diet.

I didn't know farmers fed dairy cows iodine-rich feed. When did this start? Presumably at one time all they ate was grass and clover.

Reply to
Max Demian

A conductor (water) moving in a magnetic field?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

James Wilkinson Sword

It started when they realised cows in Derbyshire (etc.) thrived better with iodine supplements. I imagine the iodide was an additive, used since some time early in the twentieth century. Now dairy produce is our main source, especially in low iodine parts of the country. I think we have been feeding cows with something other than grass in winter for thousands of years. Nowadays mainly commercial feeds and root crops. See mad cow disease.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Contrarywise. I found the old style ones leaked more, usually where the electricity went in at the bottom. There was a rubber seal around the element where it was bolted to the framework. The new flat element cordless kettles don't seem to suffer form this problem.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My dishwasher annoyingly has a bright red warning light when the salt softener has run out. I painted over it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Thank you, that may help.

Reply to