Hard water - not filtered by water board?

What has literacy to do with knowing how a device works?

I saw something on the telly 10 yers ago that it was going to replace all filters.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have a well and decided not to treat as calcium is borderline. If I had treated, as next door neighbor did, when he sold his house found that he needed an extra drainage field dug for the exchanger flush as salt is harmful to septic systems. Probably hastens concrete erosion as you will observe if you ever used sodium chloride on your concrete walk to melt ice.

Reply to
Frank

I'm sure you get all that stuff from food. People make too much fuss a= bout minerals and vitamins.

-- =

Brazil nuts are an STD. If you eat a Brazil nut then have sex with some= one who has nut allergies, they will have an allergic reaction.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Bad for your kettle? I know of people in London who don;t soften their water. Their kettles don't break. A kettle is too simple a device to care.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So inside a combi boiler it would never experience buildup?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

So yours isn't the type mentioned in this thread (nd presumably in a dishwasher) where you constantly supply several pounds of salt?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What are you protecting? As you said it's good for you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd forgotten about them. But AFAIK anything from Yorkshire upwards is soft.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Probably cheaper than softening the water.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Because you want one a different colour? I hope you give the old one to charity.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It could be softened but that is not the way to do it. You don't need soft water to flush toilets, water the garden, etc so it seems silly to pay the expense of treating it all.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In soft water areas kettles just leak after a year or two - scale seals the leaks.

Reply to
alan_m

Not properly scale, but they do get a coating. That is why in soft-water areas they add phosphates (phosphate dosing) to reduce the absorbtion of lead from old pipes.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Elsewhere in the thread someone said you needed air for it to deposit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Does it not clog the cistern?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've never known anyone's kettle break after only a year or two, and I'm in a very soft water area. I'd say they last 5 to 10 years.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Our last kettle lasted 15 years. My parents replaced a 25 year old one simply because it looked very dated.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My grandfather sealed his with a bar of soap.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I had the idea you threw things away a lot.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Does your wife not volunteer in a charity shop?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword