entering car without a key, stealing the signal

A bunch cut.

We live in different worlds. I don't lock my vehicles and leave all sorts of things in them. Maybe thieves look at my cell phone and throw it back just like an undersized fish. I don't pay much attention but I don't see people locking and unlocking their vehicles. My parents never locked things up on the farm. I'm not sure what modern farmers do. The equipment is worth a lot of money. Even the tools farmers have in their pickups are worth a few bucks.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I guess it is where you live. I live in the country of a small town. I seldom have anything of value in the car and leave it unlocked. It may keep someone from breaking out a window to get nothing.

If I do have anything of value it goes in the trunk and the car gets locked.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Twice I had someone get into my car. One time a can of oil in the back seat was stolen. Other cars near me had broken windows, pry marks, a cut convertible top.

I'd never leave anything of value in the car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thieves were stealing wire from center pivot irrigation systems for awhile. I'm not sure why other than ignorance. It's a lot of work for not much gain. One story I remember was a couple getting stuck in a field. They stole a tractor to get their vehicle out of the mud. I think they got the tractor stuck somehow. The woman lost her shoe while they were walking out of a field. I'm not sure what happened after that other than them being caught. The span cable looks like this if anyone's interested.

Dean Hoffman

Looks like you steal a lot of insulation and little copper.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We have an occasional gang of thieves from Miami who car pool over here to rob cars but it is usually the kid down the street.

Reply to
gfretwell

It amazes me the stuff people report stolen from their car left overnight. Tools, wallets, phones, guns and cash.

I baited and got a car hopper caught here. I stuck a $2 bill in my console and I had pictures of both sides of it. I told the cop to check the shop and rob at the end of the street. It will be under the cash drawer. The Russians will know who gave it to them. A few weeks later they had a warrant for the guy's garage and found a bunch of stolen stuff. I didn't get my $2 back.

Reply to
gfretwell

Right after college, in Chicago, I had to park in a shopping center lot one night, and my car was stolen. I got it back by being driven around for almost 3 hours (going down every street and it was on the last block of the last street I intended to search!!), but everything in the trunk was gone except the jack and spare tire.

Then in Brooklyn, I learned if you leave anythign in the car, it will be stolen. Not much but 3 or 4 times. One time I left a wrench under the car when I went away for an hour and it was stolen. I woudln't have done that, and I didn't think it would get stolen, but I knew I had another one. I had planned to stay in NY only 2 years, but I was there

12 until the last straw, my car being broken into again.

In Baltimore, nothing has happened in 38 years. I park while shopping with the top down, although I do lock the doors and usually put up the windows. :-) For decades I kept up my NYC practice of leaving nothing in showing in the car. I've stopped that in the last couple years but the OP here was about a string of entering and rummaging through cars within 5 or 10 miles of my house. So maybe I'll clean up the passenger seat and floor.

Reply to
micky

No kidding, someone slashed a top? What year was that? Florida?

I had hoped because there are so few convertibles, the practice had died out. See my next post, about breakins.. My top was slashed in Chicago in order for a thief to get in, and I glued a matching patch in place rather than pay for a new top, and then moved to NYC where the first 2 or 3 times they got in by pushing te patch out of the way (then I reglued it). I think they would have slashed the top if I had a good one, although conceivably the whole int he top made it more inviting.

In NYC, anything would attract a thief's attention. He'd think, maybe there is something under the magazine. I don't know if this is still true. It's been 38 years.

Reply to
micky

Where do you live? I'd like to have my old beater stolen. Easier than selling it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

The span cable is usually 10 and 14 gauge stranded copper. The pivot structure is steel. It doesn't make sense either way. There is a lot of aluminum pipe laying around in piles most of the year. I seldom hear of that being stolen. It's still used in places where pivots aren't practical.

The abandoned farmyards or back pastures sometimes are parking spots for old machinery and junk. People don't seem to think it's worthwhile money wise to clean them up.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Philadelphia and yes, it was many years ago. Pair of sunglasses were stolen. I was parked behind it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh good. You had me scared. I bemoan the decrease in the population of convertibles. I wish some foundation would estabilish a breeding program, like they had iirc for whooping cranes.

The one solace I had was that the art of top-slashing seems to have been lost by the indigenous population of thieves and delinquents. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself and I'll go out tomorrow and find my top slashed.)

Reply to
micky

When I had a convertible years ago, I put in an alarm and left the doors unlocked, so that thieves would not cut the top to get in. Several times it worked, the alarm went off. IDK for sure if they would have cut it to get in, but I think there is a good chance they would.

Reply to
trader_4

I've called one charity or another 2 or 3 times.

The second time was 7 years later than the first and the same driver came.

I was getting rid of one Lebaron after buying another, and he saw all the parts I'd removed from the car in case I needed them, and he told me he couldn't give me a tax deduction receipt. I said that was fine.

(The third Lebaron failed going over the mountain between Tennessee and North Carolina, and I sold that car for iirc $50. They picked it up from the motel parking lot where I was staying while I looked for a new car. It still looked nice and the motel hadn't noticed that it barely ran.)

Reply to
micky

I owned a total of ONE convertible. Now that I live in Florida I don't want one here either. Too damned hot and humid. Turn on the AC and drive in comfort.

Up north you got a few months out of it, same here when it is cooler.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Lots of duct tape.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Years ago they stole my wife's 10 year old Mazda. It was found in the city up on blocks and everything under the hood was gone. They stole it for parts taking everything but the radio. Tires were new.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Thief opened the unlocked 94 Integra and carefully removed the cheap ($35) aftermarket radio without damaging anything. Middle of the day, parked on a busy street. Replacement radio was $15 from Ebay. Hard to see why anybody would bother -- as long as you steal something worth less than $1K (per day, not $total) it's the equivalent of a traffic ticket.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Which "they" are bigger batteries?

I have 3 Honda's - 2011, 2017, 2019.

1 basic key start vehicle, 2 with push button start, touch door handles, power lift gates, etc.

They all use the CR 2032 battery.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson