Car key query

I have done a very stupid thing.

The remote key for my '04 Citroen Xsara Picasso was falling apart, so I bought a replacement case from Ebay and fitted the remote innards and key blade to it. I couldn't start the car - engine turned over but wouldn't fire. So I tried the non-remote key. It worked.

I've since Googled - I had no idea whatsoever that there was a transponder chip in the key and that must have been the bit I cut off to fit the blade to the new case. In my defence, it's a newish (to me) car and my last car one had no such shenanigans.

I don't really want to spend £150 for a key on a car worth £1k, but I'd like a spare key. Anyone here got the t-shirt?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Do you still have the bit you cut off?

Reply to
GB

Belay all that. It turns out the transponder wasn't the bit I cut off the key blade, it's small ferrite-looking lump in the case which was still in the bin. Transplanted and working.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Thanks, no, but that wasn't it - see my reply to myself.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Your mishap is useful info - thanks!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't remember the last time I learnt so much and went from frustration to delight in so short a time.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I've done a key transplant of a C6 key which I think is pretty similar to the C4. In my case the transponder transferred with the innards, that is the small PCB and battery. Are you sure you haven't damaged the PCB in moving?

Just to clarify my remote/key is one with three buttons.

Reply to
Chris Green

No, the transponder was separate from the PCB, it's all fixed now thanks, see my other replies.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

If you are not worried about security, you can tape the transponder bit near the keyhole and then use any key with the same bitting (cut the same)without a transponder.

Reply to
F Murtz

Weird! The C4 plip looks very like my C6 one but mine certainly had the transponder on the PCB. Is your plip a 3 button one?

Yes, I saw you had fixed it (after I posted).

Reply to
Chris Green

Two buttons. This shows where the transponder goes...

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Ah! It's not like mine then. I spent quite a while looking for the transponder thinking it *was* like yours, a separate thing in the plastic case somewhere. However I was wasting my time, on the three-button plips (unlock, lights, lock) the transponder is on the PCB. There's lots of very misleading information about the transponder being 'embedded' in the plastic of the case, not true either for yours or for mine.

Reply to
Chris Green