Never forget.

When dismantling something, always put all the small parts inside the lid of the box, so you can catch the edge of the lid and lose them all at one go, saving yourself the effort of losing them one at a time.

Reply to
Huge

A variation: put all 72-off 3mm ball bearings in a piece of rag. Use rag to wipe hands. Eventually pick up 71 balls. Find all 'spares' are eighth. Discover 72nd. ball many years later when doing a bit of unrelated work.

Reply to
PeterC

I had a good result after a ping fuckit last night when I put a 4mm diameter roll pin into low workshop orbit. After a cursory look round, I resisted the temptation to do an exhaustive search and thought about the nature of the ping. I was a "dead" metallic noise not at all musical but a definite ping so almost certainly hit metal then nothing at all so it did not land on the wooden floor. Not a steel type noise so then I saw the piece of soft aluminium alloy and the pile of sawdust below and there sat the roll pin black metal against pale sawdust. Sometime a bit of analysis and thought pays off!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Best to do it when on a cherry picker or scissor lift if you want to do it properly:-)

Reply to
ARW

I have a wonderful drawer slide assembly which every so often sheds a ball bearing. Put ball in safe place until one day drawer starts to bind. Take apart and then the ornament you put all the bearings in is not anywhere to be found. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I can trump that with knocking over the partially dismantled cesspit pump and having some of the parts fall in the cesspit.

Reply to
Huge

On occasion, in desperation, I've tried dropping another one of whatever-it-was and seeing if it ends up in the same place as the first one.

Reply to
Huge

BTDTGTTS. Too many times.

Now I use a plastic box with compartments and a hinged lid. Took me a few goes to remember to close the lid every time, though.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a strong magnet taped to a stick:-)

The cloth surface of watchmakers benches must impact on the use of bad language.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Huh! I'm still gathering nails from the lawn after the roof job finished.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Me too. And it has a wire hook on the other end. I call it my "Stick Of Picking Things Up".

Reply to
Huge

Quite. Ghod bless Anglia Fasteners who responded helpfully to "have you got one of these?" [Waves hex mushroom headed stainless steel bolt with an 'O' ring round it.]

Reply to
Huge

and then you couldn't find either one

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I have a plastic box with compartments. I use it for storing woodscrews. Worked well until I picked it up without closing the lid!!!!

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Well, it was broken already ...

A little like your sig. This isn't an email, it is not possible to propagate viruses via Usenet and a proper sig seperator is "--"

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , Malcolm Race escribió:

I have about seven of these with various diddly fiddly bits stored.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Where did you get them from? I could do with some.

Reply to
Huge

The smallish ones I use (not suitable for large screws) I get from CPC.

Reply to
Bob Eager

For a change, Maplin are cheaper than most

Reply to
Andy Burns

£16? For 45p's worth of plastic? They're 'avin' a laugh.
Reply to
Huge