fixings to fit 7.5kg loads on foam backed plasterboard?

Hi-

I have a couple of loudspeakers and wall mounts that I'd like to mount on a wall that is plasterboard backed with about 10cm of insulating polystyrene.

Each speaker and mount together weigh just over 7.5kg.

Can someone suggest the best type of wall fixings to use for this? A spring toggle type will not work because the polystyrene will stop it from deploying.

Has anyone else attached something heavy to a similar wall?

Thanks!

Reply to
tomm26asus

That's not heavy.

You might want to fit a batten using them and then use screws to fix the speaker.

Reply to
dennis

or these?

GB

Thanks for both responses :)

Reply to
tomm26asus

that's not that heavy: "grip-its" would be my choice.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I haven't had much success with those.

Reply to
dennis

But you'll need their undercutting tool (or a home made equivalent, e.g. allen key in chuck) to remove the backing foam, to allow the blades to deploy.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If they are on the sort of brackets where the speaker angle can be adjusted, the loading on the fixing may be rather higher than something which just mounted the speaker flush to the wall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The grip-its do give a table of safe weights at various cantilever distances, though that's given for 15mm plasterboard, so would need de-rating for 12.5mm

Reply to
Andy Burns

Perhaps it's just my built in sense of doom, but I'd not mount anything of any weight and value direct to plasterboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I initially had similar thoughts several years ago when I took the "risk" of fixing speakers of a similar weight to plasterboard. I used metal hollow wall anchors and they survived without any problem and were still rock solid when I recently moved the speakers elsewhere.

Reply to
Mike Clarke