tv wall bracket into foam-backed plasterboard?

Hi-
We'd like to fix a flat panel 15"-17" integrated tv onto a wall that
has been covered with ~10cm thick foam backed plasterboard in our
kitchen/breakfast room. The wall behind the foam-backed plasterboard
is an external brick wall.
We'd like to use a hinged wall bracket so that it can be angled either
towards the kitchen (for the wife while cooking) or to the other side
(so we can watch while eating).
This is the kind of bracket I was hoping to use:
hinged wall brackets I have seen have quite small wall footprints,
and I'm concerned about a) whether I will be able to fit it stably,
and b) how I should go about fitting the bracket.
I'm not sure whether to use some kind of rawl plug that is just seated
in the foam behind the plasterboard, or whether to try to drill
further, back into the brick. I'm also concerned whether the weight of
the bracket + tv will "cut" down into the foam and plasterboard.
Can anyone please advise? Thanks very much.
Reply to
Jim
The hinged wall brackets I have seen have quite small wall footprints,
Fixing the bracket directly to the wall seems very iffy to me. Perhaps you need to fix a board to the wall first to enlarge the 'footprint' using several long screws in appropriate wall plugs and also an adhesive. Something like 12" by 9" and 1" thick to receive the bracket screws.
mark
Reply to
Mark
Thanks for the reply, Mark. I'd rather not fit a board to the wall for aesthetic reasons, but if I did, I've got the same question... how would I fit the board to this kind of wall? what kind of rawl plugs would I use to attach to 10-cm foam backed plasterboard... ?
Thanks
Reply to
Jim
In message , Jim writes
A friend of mine has a somewhat similar situation and used frame fixings through the panel and plaster board into the brick.
Reply to
Bill
into the brick and make sure the fixings get pushed into the brick. A 15/17" LCD TV is not that heavy and there is a good chance that the bracket will not dig into the plasterboard to an unacceptable (cosmetically speaking) level - the foam is really quite rigid.
If it does dent the plasterboard - you will only notice if you remove the bracket so you can then fill and paint.
or either cut out the foam/plasterboard where the bracket goes and fix in a piece of ply to the wall make good, or maybe just remove foam/plasterboard cores where the screws go through the bracket and replace with ply discs.
I would go for the easy approach first .
Reply to
robert
You don't. You cut out the plasterboard, screw a plate directly to the wall and plaster over it and then skim it all flat and repaint.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
use:
The hinged wall brackets I have seen have quite small wall footprints,
At the bottom you need a standoff to stop the PB/foam being crushed. Drill though the PB and foam, put in wooden dowels right into the brickwork to act as standoffs at the bottom of the bracket (where this is force into the wall), and screw into these. Or metal tube pushed through. Or the frame fixings with a bold and fix with nuts/washers. Etcetera ... At the top just frame fixings. But you might get away with it though if the TV is light. Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson
use:
> The hinged wall brackets I have seen have quite small wall footprints,
Thanks for all the replies....
Reply to
Jim

Site Timeline Threads