Foam Backed Carpet Stuck to Floorboards

Has anybody got any tips about the best way to get the degraded foam off floorboards? Some years ago I put a foam backed carpet down and forgot to put backing paper down first. Now I want to replace the carpet and the foam has mostly stuck to the floorboards. I will attempt to use a hand sander but I suspect it will just keep gumming up.

Reply to
Bookworm

Heh! a scraper works wonders then sweep over with a stiff yard brush.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Bookworm wrote on 11/03/2006 :

Use a purpose made scraper on a stick, or a flexible wallpaper scraper by hand or with its handle duct-tapped to a brush handle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can use a hand scraper for this but it can be very time consuming if you have a large area.

Bosch do a power scraper which will do this kind of job very quickly and effortlessly, and there is also an attachment for the Fein Multimaster if you want something to do a range of sanding and scraping activities.

The foam can disintegrate and be quite dusty, so it's worth vacuuming it up as you go.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Long-handled scraper, along the grain, watch out for protruding nails.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Now theres an idea.

Do you have a heat gun? some guns have a scraper attachment whereby it slots onto the gun,the same attachment will probably slot onto a hoovers extension tube if you have that sort of hoover?

Scrape and hoover at the same time. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Use a garden spade with a straight edge as a giant scraper.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok gents, Some good ideas. I will try them all. Regarding the Bosch Scraper does anyone do them on hire?

Reply to
Bookworm

You need to find out locally for that.

Reply to