Plasterboard Fixings

I need to put up a couple of things like a towel rail and a curtain rail in my son's flat. The wall seems to be plasterboard and behind that there's about a 20mm gap and then I think it's breeze block. I got a pack of plasterboard plugs which need a 6mm hole and have a sort of double prong which opens up behind the plasterboard.. The pack says they are for light use and I'm thinking they might not be up to the job. I've seen some bigger fixings which have a very big spiral thread which are screwed in. Would they be stronger? Or is there any other recommended way of fixing things?

Thanks

John

Reply to
Nodge

The metal 'RediDrivas' (big spiral thread jobbies) are quite good - but not really suitable for heavy loads.

Screwfix do a 'Heavy Duty' version

but I've haven't tried these. They *may* be ok.

My own preference is to cut a 1" hole in the plasterboard, and to use a long screw going into the brick/blockwork, with a suitable spacer made out of 1" dowelling (or broomstick). You can then get a solid fixing without squeezing the plasterboard towards the blocks.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think your description of the first fixing is these ?

would be fine for the towel rail, they give a surprisingly strong fix.

The second description seems to be these

are faster to install & IME give a stronger fixing than the nylon plugs above.

The strongest plasterboard fixings IME are these

rails can be a problem with heavy curtains. It depends on the design of the bracket & how many fixings per bracket. If the bracket fixings holes are close together you will only be able to use the nylon plugs (first link).

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hollow wall anchors - providing the fittings have large enough holes for the 5mm screw.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

They look good! Must try them next time I need to fix stuff to plasterboard. Presumably the associated setting tool squeezes the back bit up by pulling on the screw-head, avoiding the need to wind it up with a screwdriver?

I always fix a batten on the wall, and then screw the brackets onto that. That spreads the load and is far better than individual point fixings into the wall. If you use a pelmet, it doesn't even show.

Reply to
Roger Mills

>>> They look good! Must try them next time I need to fix stuff to

Yes it does. You can screw them in as you say, the setting tool makes it faster.

I have done that, but I've found customers don't like the idea. Sometimes you have to simply tell them its the only way you are prepared to do the job. Pelmets do seem to be making a comeback!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman