Towel Rail Wiring

Hi there, my mother - awkward as she is - is having a heated towel rai

fitted, which is fair enough. But she now would like it to be heate by a heating element which is a pain in the arse. Have questions abou the wiring.

I know that the element needs to be connected via a fused spur, whic is no problem, but the towel rails i have seen have had a FCU situate just below the towel rail. The towel rail is to be situated at the en of the bath (Zone 1) and i'm wondering if it's safe to have an FC situated here or not. If not then how else could it be wired up.

Little help pls

-- discjockey1999

Reply to
discjockey1999

Use a cord outlet to do the change from cable to heat resistant flex and situate the FCU elsewhere - like outside the bathroom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An ordinary flex outlet isn't allowed in Zone 1 or Zone 2 since it wouldn't meet the IPx4 requirement. To make a connection in those zones you'd need a IPx4 (or better) adaptable box and cable glands. Best to get the connection into Zone 3 if possible - i.e. at least 600mm from the bath - and then an ordinary FCU can be used.

Did the OP realy mean Zone 1 - over the bath?

An electric towel rail is not allowed in Zone 1 unless it "cannot reasonably be located elsewhere." If it is installed in Zone 1 it must be 30mA RCD protected. If it's fed from a RCD protected ring (or radial) circuit, itself fed from the RCD side of a split-load CU then then you're OK, otherwise an RCD spur will be required. (The RCD protection is not required for Zone 2 or beyond.)

If installed in either Zone 1 or 2 the rail must be suitable for those areas and should meet IPx4.

Don't forget the supplementary bonding, if required.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I'll take your word for it. However, I'd then say the towel rail itself isn't either, since the last one I saw didn't have a flex inlet that would meet IPx4.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I covered that by saying:

If in doubt the OP should check with the appliance manufacturer.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Wonder if sealing both with something like silicone would make it comply?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if you want it to pass a Part P inspection...

Reply to
Andy Wade