Washing Machine/Dishwasher Into Same Drain Pipe?

Is anybody aware of any particular reason which would prevent me having my washing machine and dishwasher outlet hoses loosely fitted into the same down pipe?

Victor

Reply to
Victor West

I certainly cannot think of any - other than a slight risk of the downpipe being unable to cope with simultaneous discharge from both machines!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Only the obvious potential risk that if both appliances empty simultaneously the waste pipe might be inadequate for the flow, and cause a flood. It should be Ok, but you'd have to monitor your particular machines while it happens to check.

Make sure you have a 1.5" diameter waster pipe too, not 1.25" - although that shouldn't be present in the kitchen anyway. If you did have 1.25" I'd certainly change that before trying this.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Many thanks for the replies. So, if they aren't run at the same time, it should be ok then.

Victor

Reply to
Victor West

Oh yes. And should be OK if they are run together; you just need to check, not assume!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I recon so. mine's fine, and has been for about 6 months.

the odd gurgle from time to time but no overspill

RT

Reply to
[news]

It should be OK even if they are running at the same time - just check the first time you do it. I've never yet had a problem with mine and I almost always run them together.

Reply to
Geoffrey