Foil backed plasterboard

I've read many coments suggesting that you can't dot and dab with foil
backed pb. However, my plasterer is here this week and says you can
and did so while here just fine stating that the adhesive will stick
to pretty much anything.
So is this right or wrong?
Reply to
hoicem
In article , " snipped-for-privacy@localhost.com" writes:
Well, you're in the ideal position to tell us -- how hard have you tried pulling the sheets off?
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
I tried it once out of curiosity - I would guarantee that once the adhesive has gone off, the only thing stopping the board falling away from the wall would be the tape/scrim and the skirting. Drywall adhesive IS sticky but will NOT adhere to foil backed plasterboard for any length of time once dry. You can call British Gypsum technical helpline on 08705 456123 and the knowlegable staff there will give you a definitive answer. Franko.
Reply to
Franko
coments suggesting that you can't dot and dab with foil
Alternatively you can call them on 0115 9456123 and save yourself a few pence.
Edward
Reply to
teddysnips
What are the benefits of foil backed plasterboard? I assume some insulation benefit? What is the u value of PB with and without foil? Can it also be used as a vapour barrier or are the joints a problem? Also how much more expensive is it?
....so many questions...so few answers :-)
Brian
Reply to
Ashnook.
It's a vapour barrier. If you butt the joints, then there is little leakage. However, you can tape the back - foil tape down one side of one board half on, then put the next one on.
Reply to
Ian Stirling
However, my plasterer is here this week and says you can
Just to update for the records.....
Do not ever, ever let your plasterer dot and dab foil backed boards. I just pulled them off and they came it extremely easily, the foil surface doesn't have a single bit of adhesive left on it.
My plasterer had over 25 years experience as well. Just goes to show..........
Reply to
hoicem

Site Timeline Threads