Which plasterboard for bathroom?

I always thought bathrooms should be boarded out in foil-back but my plasterer/tiler says this makes them 'sweat'. (surely the reason foil back is used, no?)

What is correct please?

He's ordered 1800x900x9.5mm board, non-foil for dot and dabbing. Should they be changed?

Ceiling is already done in foil-backed.

TIA

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

I would have personally gone for 12.5mm, as its a bit stiffer and also is the same thickness as the Aquapanel, which I would use in the 'wet' areas, I think dot and dabbing is still fine, but would suggest mechanical fixing also, especially if your going to tile it (due to the weight of tiles)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

The dot dab adhesive wont stick to the foil back??? Sounds fine what he's ordered....unless its a total wet room. You could argue about using aquaboard, but as long as the tiling is u to scratch its all good

oh just noticed he's ordered 6x3 boards...Is it a very small bathroo or is it a question of getting them in the room?

Sea

-- Sean Mc

Reply to
Sean Mc

So why is he doing dot and dabbing if he's a real plasterer? I would have pushed for a proper plaster scratch coat. What's the existing wall construction and surface?

They are a damn site easier to handle.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's a corner room on standard 1930s semi. Two outer walls (one with window) are brick. Other has the laths left on it for dot/dab.

Sorry, my mistake - they are 8x4 but 9.5mm.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

6x3 are so much easier to work with, especially if its a one man operation.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I started to do my ceiling with 8x4x12.5mm I quickly abandoned them in favour of 8x3x12.5mm it is so much easier to manouver 8x3s than 8x4s. There's slightly more work jointing, though.

Reply to
<me9