Bathroom Sheetrock

Our master bathroom was recently gutted and remodeled. One of the guys that quoted said he would use a type of sheetrock that was moisture-resistant. We didn't end up going with him. The company that did the remodel used regular sheetrock in the bathroom. Is that much of an issue? Does anyone know if regular sheetrock is more common in bathrooms?

Thanks,

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

Greenboard is a lot better for bathrooms. Some places require it. But regardless, it's entirely unsuitable for mount tile; use drywall only for painted (or papered) surfaces.

Reply to
wkearney99

We have a fiberglass shower and a whirlpool that has a couple of feet of tile above it...other than that, no tile. It's not typically moist in the room so it sounds like we're okay with sheetrock...right?

Thanks,

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

Yes.

Reply to
G Henslee

Not really that big of an issue. If it's going behind tile that will actually get wet, like in the shower, then it should have cement board rather than drywall anway. And if you have a moisture problem in your bathroom that's going to have to be fixed regardless. Otherwise, for regular walls, it shouldn't matter.

Reply to
jeffc

Tiling can be done on any drywall, without problems. However, any tiles that are intended to be in a wet location (tub surround or shower stall) should have cement board behind them.

When we built our house, shower stall and tub surround areas had cement board and tiles were set with thinset mortar. All the drywalled sections of our bathrooms used greenboard for the lower half and regular drywall for the upper half. Tiles set on drywall (bathrooms and the backsplash in the kitchen) were set with a high quality mastic.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Hmmmm since our entire bath was done with regular drywall, I'm going ot be paranoid about keeping the tile on the wall above the whirpool dry. I should have said something when they were doing it :-(

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

Dont panic. Just seal your grout and remember its a TUB and not a shower.. Keep the water IN the tub and you'll be fine.

Reply to
Rudy

that may be practice, but it's pretty stupid to use greenboard in a shower

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I don't think you should be paranoid, Cindy.

There's a lot of misinformation about what is really required in backing for tile in a bathroom. And there's quite a bit of it in this thread.

Here, Denshield sells for something like fifty bucks a sheet, greenboard is about fourteen and ordinary drywall is about ten bucks. There is no doubt that greenboard resists water better than drywall and denshield resists better than greenboard ... BUT IT IS NOT NECESSARY if the wall is properly tiled.

The only advocates for denshield are the people who sell it. Standard practice here is greenboard around the tub and as backing for a shower ... and ordinary drywall in the rest of the bath.

HTH

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Whatever.......

Reply to
bambam

I wouldn't get too paranoid about a few splashes on the tiles. The tile surface (assuming glazed tiles) is non-porous. Grout will allow water to get through, but unless there was a constant spray of water.

The reason why I went with greenboard on the lower half of non-direct water exposure walls is because of the *possibility* of a small spill leaving a puddle that doesn't get cleaned up right away. A little of that drawn through the grout shouldn't be too harmful to greenboard.

Longstanding water in that situation is going to crumble greenboard just as well as regular drywall.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

You are totally full of shit sir. The tile installation is only as good as the subtrate's it's installed over. You're no professional and a hack at the best.

Hope that helps???

Water resistant drywall should never be used for a tile substrate in either a tub or a shower. I don't know where you're located (nor do I care) but your "Standard practice" is substandard to say the least.

Reply to
G Henslee

Totally unacceptable you grinning idiot. No one with any experience or knowledge in tile installation recommends or defends the use of water resistant drywall in tubs or showers for tile substrates. It will fail, it's only a matter of time.

You are an ignorant f*ck and it's showing again. As I pointed out in another thread, you're another know-it-all asswipe who doesn't really know what you're talking about, so STFU when it comes to this topic as well.

This is for those who want to have a clue about the subject.

G Henslee

I'm not really a drywall expert, but have been in lots of homes being built, and countless ones already lived in for years And have always seen "greenboard" tiled and used around tubs. (tile held on with mastic glue)

No doubt the cement board is better, but as long as the tile is grouted and caulked properly, no real amount of water ever gets near the wallboard anyway.

Even if water is getting into a wall cement board may survive, but the studs, and subfloors would rot and have to be ripped out

And I've seen finished basements that have far higher overall humidity than most bathrooms, and they use regular drywall and rarely have problems

For people who like to practice martial arts in their bathrooms though, cement board saves a lot of repairs.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Well Henslee, if the shoe fits..Put it on

This may surprise you but you aren't the be all and end all of usenet, but a generally foul mouthed j*rk-off. Who do you think pays any attention to your rabid, run off at the mouth comments... Get back on your medication

Reply to
Rudy

Sa'matter asswipe, that crappy tile you job you got start fallin' apart?

Reply to
G Henslee

Your pissy keyboard flex isn't good enuff fool. Nor is your lousy advice. Blow it out your ignorant ass.

I will always be here, fuckface. Get used to it. And I'll call you on every one of your f****ng ingorant posts because you're wrong.

Now go chase the little ball, bitch.

Reply to
G Henslee

No assumption, asswipe. You've already admitted you're a shod buster when you defended an inferior unacceptable substrate that is unnacceptable to professionals and the TCA.

Neither of which you'll ever be familiar with you goat screwing hillbilly.

That link is as old and sorry as you are...

Reply to
G Henslee

Hey Dickwad.

Who the f*ck cares what you think anyway ? Millions of homes have nothing but greenboard in the bathrooms and are doing quite fine thank you very much.

Pull a few of those sheets of cement board out of your ass and you might feel a bit less cranky.

Or just shut off your computer and do us all a favor. ROTFLMAO

AMUN

Reply to
Amun