Plasterboard on external solid wall

Am looking to dot n dab an external solid 9" wall and am unsure as to whether I need to use vopour control foil backed board or standard plasterboard.

The external face of the wall is insulated rendered, so in theory there should be no instance of cold air meeting warm on the inner wall surface. This tends to sway me towards using regular board.

Is this correct?

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

moderately, but I would still use foil board.

The price differential is not great.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dot and dab doesn't stick to foil backed so it'll fall down unless you can find a way of introducing mechanical fixings.

Reply to
Cod Roe

Fair point..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is there no adhesive that will stick to the foil?

Reply to
Bruce

You may be ok. I used insulated plasterboard (9mm p/b with approx 40 mm expanded polystyrene) dot n dabbed on my 9" walls. A small bedroom with 3 external walls showed signs of moisture - darkening of plaster skim on boards - 'cured' by foil backed lining paper.

Reply to
nafuk

Aren't you required to use insulation backed board? If you modify the wall don't you have to insluate it right up to part L? In any case, it is desirable. A small sacrifice of room size makes an enormous difference to the heat loss. IIRC 30mm celotex bonded to 12mm PB takes a 9" wall from a U value of 1.8 to 0.3 (W/sqm/K).

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Yikes, I really didn't want to read that. I've just done all of my outside walls with this stuff. How soon was it before the problem showed up and where did you get the foil backed lining paper from?

Reply to
Rednadnerb

I would not use dot & dab on external solid wall ... I would batten and fit a avapour barrier (or foil face)

Reply to
Rick Hughes