Potterton Combi 100 - no mains light on

Hi
Just after our delightful evening meal, my son reported that "a bulb
must have gone in the back room, the lights won't come on", so I when
to the fuse box, re-set the tripped "fuse" and went to have a look.
No bulbs were out, but I noticed that the boiler now had no lights on
it. "That doesn't look good" I thought.....
We've got a 7 year old Potterton Combi 100. Nothing is working on
it. The "mains" light is not lit, which indicates to me some sort of
fuse blown (caused by.....?) in the boiler. Not something I can deal
with.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for someone to call in the
north Cheshire area (Frodsham)? Yellow pages is full of glossy ads
for "local" 0800 companies, and I'm steering clear of those. I don't
have anyone I can get a local recommendation from, so I thought I'd
turn to uk.d-i-y.
Any ideas? Not a good time of year to have 3 young children, no hot
water and no heating!
Thanks!
Matt
Reply to
matthew.larkin
In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes
Its just possible that the pcb has caught fire and the resulting carbonated remains are presenting a short circuit to the mains
Combi 100s do that
Or it could be the pump
or it could be nothing to do with the boiler at all
Reply to
geoff
Definitely the boiler. The fused switch next to it (which controls the power supply to the boiler) is fine, as is the fuse (checked with a multimeter). There was a faint smoky smell in there, but as next door have a wood burning fire that's nothing new.
Thanks!
Matt
Reply to
matthew.larkin
In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes
Magic smoke has departed from the modulation board then ...
Reply to
geoff
In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes
IS the board repairable ?