DIY without a Car

I'm getting into DIY, to save money while brushing up my girlfriend's house for sale. We've got enough of a budget to get professionals in where needed, but it seems silly to waste money on tasks that I as a reasonably competent person can manage for myself.

The main problem I'm seeing at the moment is the lack of a car to transport materials from shops to home. Of the two main DIY emporia in Stoke-on-Trent, B&Q do home delivery but have shag-all useful items in stock, and Wickes have a great selection but don't do delivery. Transporting in taxis would be prohibitively expensive, getting on for a tenner a journey from Wickes.

I've thought about hiring a man-with-a-van type operation and buying just about everything I'll need at one time, but this is inflexible. Any other suggestions?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Page

Have you tried

?

Reply to
Chris Cowley

And most builders merchants deliver as a matter of course, though they may charge a fiver or so, but still cheaper than running a car and saves hundreds of hours messing about in sheds.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Keyline in Burslem? Anyone of the many builders yards will deliver a reasonable order. Have you got storage? If not; empty a room that you can spare to store it in. Photo each wall in each room in the place and look at everything you want to do. Then make a shopping list from each item you ticked.

What sort of stuff are you looking for that can't be taken on a bus?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

And my local DIY shop will deliver free. Check yours.

Reply to
John Cartmell

The message from John Cartmell contains these words:

Wish mine would - that's why I've got a socking great trailer taking up space in the Spaceport. 8x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF were twice the price in Telford than Wednesbury and since I'd have had to pay for delivery from either I bought the trailer. Paid for itself many times over - but dunnarf take up a lot of space.

One day I'm going to invent the folding trailer.

Reply to
Guy King

"proper" builders' merchants will deliver almost anything if they've got a van passing your location (ie possibly not next day)

Alternatively, get a barrow/handcart

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Seen one at B&Q which almost fits the bill; it stands up on its rear end where it has castors, so you can wheel it through an ordinary doorway.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Where is it cheap in Wednesbury please? I want some sheets and thought Birmingham Board in Oldbury was probably the cheapest.

Reply to
dennis

It's worth building up a fair sized order and ordering from screwfix. For wood etc it's worth contacting any local timber merchants as most will deliver, if not FOC then cheaply. For other stuff try builders merchants, plumbers merchants and your local hardware store. If you place enough business their way I'm sure they'll come to some arrangement over delivery.

Rather surprisingly, our local hardware store is often cheaper than B&Q and has the benefit you can buy items singly, by the metre etc..

sponix

Reply to
sponix

I'd go for canal barge but it helps if you live next to the cut. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Yup, get it all online from screwfix or similar. That what I've always done in my very limited experience! Even though I have a car I really can't be arsed to go to B&Q :-p

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

I have loads of friends,you got any?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:31:18 +0000 someone who may be Dave Page wrote this:-

As has been said, "proper" merchants deliver, as do the on-line lot.

For transporting a fair range of things a bike trailer can hold a surprising amount.

Reply to
David Hansen

Not many, why, are you offering some of your cast-offs?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

For small items a rucsac works.

For bigger stuff, most BM's deliver for free, especially if you order a lot, or are a regular.

Rick

Reply to
Rick