Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Atco B14 Help
i have recently purchased a Atco B14 Ensign, and i am wanting to do some general maintenance on the machine. unfortunately being a complete novice in this type of thing, i cant find the dip stick for...
1
1

Hard soil
I'm trying to get revved up for the weekend lawn job.... How's a good way to break up hard soil? Since it's all level, my first thought is to soak it good for a couple of days. I wonder if renting an...
15
15

High levels of potassium in lawn soil
I tested a few places front and back and all were pretty much the same. pH was 6.5-7.0 everywhere. Nitrogen was non-existent as I expected, phosphorus was the good range. (Sorry I don't have the...
5
5

Bare spots in lawn again
Any ideas how to get these bare spots filled in again? Same spots, same places as last year about this time. Location is So Calif. No rain to speak of, but have been watering a couple of times a week....
5
5

Another bug question
Found this rascal crawling up my arm outside. It's so small I couldn't get a clear detailed shot. About 1/16 to 3/32 inches long. I scooped it up in a cup with a few drops of alcohol-based hand...
3
3

Anybody tried alfalfa as a groundcover?
Hi all, Has anyone following this newsgroup tried to use alfalfa as a lawn/groundcover plant? I'm trying it now (in the Central Valley of California, USA) and it seems promising. If anybody can offer...
9
9

Will a lawn fertilizer (30-0-3) cause flowers to NOT bloom?
My wife seems to think that when my lawn fertilizer (30-0-3) gets into her flower bed, it causes the flowers to put out more leaves and less blooms. Specifically lillys. True - or false?
2
2

Gaps in new lawn.
I recently had a new lawn laid but unfortunately some of the rolls of turf have shrunk and left gaps in the lawn. Is there anything is could do to either make them expand or is there anything I could...
2
2

What bug is this, deux
What bug is this? It looks like a Cheerio, but it's medium dark brown, and the circle isn't quite complete. A robin has been eating a lot of them in my yard, right after I mowed it (the yard, not the...
5
5

Virulent weed - need help
Hi there! Hopefully someone can help. I've attached a pic of a weed that is rapidly multiplying across my lawn. My regular weed and feed has no effect, I try to rake worst of it out before mowing but...
1
1

Need help - black patches in lawn
Hi , Need some help in improving the lawn condition .. there are some black patches in the lawn and I dont know what to do . The lawn is roughly 1.5 years old was applied as turf. Most of it is all...
3
3

Help - Lots of weeds and need a new lawn
Hi. This is the first time I'm posting and hope i am posting in the right section. Awhile ago my dad dug up the turf we had to make it level and planned to reseed or relay the grass but my dad being...
1
1

Slugs on lawn- dangers?
Hi all, I have noticed what looks like slugs on my lawn today (see pic) and I'm wondering: 1. Are they slugs? 2. Are they dangerous to my toddler who plays on the lawn? 3. Are they dangerous for my...
1
1

bare patch under pine trees
Hi all, I have been trying to fix bare patches on my lawn. My garden has 4 huge pine trees. As it is quite wet and there are not too many needles at the moment, I decided to use miracle gro patch...
2
2

Hayter Heritage 12/30 Ride on
I possess one of these but recently had a mishap with the blade rotation lever which has snapped at the base. I have had the lever repaired but cannot seem to be able to connect it correctly. The...