Will crabgrass preventer also stop tree seeds?

We're surrounded by maple trees and a single ash tree, and every summer our lawn is full of hundreds (thousands?) of ash and maple tree sprouts from the seeds they drop.

After lopping off their heads a few times with the lawn mower, they eventually give up, but would crab grass preventer stop these seeds from sprouting?

Reply to
Bert

I don't know but you could call the 800 number on the providers label to find out. I've done that for a couple of persistent weeds and they were very responsive.

Reply to
Frank

It most likely would have little to no effect, because most pre-emergents used on turfgrass have no effect on woody weeds. Same goes for post-emergent lawn weedkillers. Mowing is the simplest way to deal with them. If you were really consumed with the desire to deal with them, you could look for a growth inhibitor to spray on the tree to keep the seeds from forming. See

Moe DeLoughan

It's the trees that are consuming my lawn :-) I've been mowing them down for years, but just wondered if there was another way.

They're not my trees. The ash belongs to the city, and will probably be gone by next year anyway as the ash borers have already taken out most of the others. The maples all belong to neighbors.

Reply to
Bert

You have my sympathy. I live in a neighborhood with massive old silver maples. I got rid of my maple, but I'm buried under the volume of seeds produced by neighboring trees. I swept a bushel off my driveway in one afternoon. Which is why, when I replaced my silver maple, I replaced it with a seedless variety.

The one redeeming virtue of squirrels is that they collect and eat an awful lot of maple seeds.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

They have spray stuff for suckers. Would that work?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman