crabgrass preventer & seeding

I live in SE Virginia and have a mild coastal climate. I didn't seed my lawn until early Nov last year. Although it has been pretty warm & wet this winter, it was too late for the lawn to really get established. Traditionally I have put down crabgrass preventer /fertilizer this time of year, however I am concerned that it will prevent any unsprouted seeds from emerging. What does the group think? Thanks JD in Norfolk VA

Reply to
JD

Any seed that didn't turn into grass by now has rotted, so if it was me, I'd do the traditional!

Tom J who hates crabgrass

Reply to
Tom J

"Tom J Any seed that didn't turn into grass by now has rotted, so if it was me, I'd do the traditional! "

If crabgrass seed has all rotted by now, where do you think the plants come from that are going to germinate this Spring? Immaculate conception?

Reply to
trader4

************** I was replying to him waiting for those GRASS seed to germinate. Some seed stay viable for decades, but not lawn grass seed he put out in November. Try it, put some lawn grass seed on a test plot now and see if you ever see anything but weeds. On the other hand, put down some cocklebur seed and they will be with you at least 10 years! You'll never keep out crab grass because all your neighbors allow it to seed and blow everywhere in the winds and it's seed stay viable over winter.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J