Frost Seeding Dutch White Clover

I'd like to seed some white clover into my existing lawn this year. I will give frost seeding a try in late Feb. early March. The problem is that clover seeds are so fine they would be hard to spread evenly by hand. I heard about a clever way some people use to sow fine seeds and think I'll give this a try. They simply put the seeds into a salt shaker and shake as you go! Sounds like it should work. Has anyone ever tried this method before and if so, what were your results?

Rich from PA zone 5-6

Reply to
EVP MAN

Better to hand blend the seeds with a big bag of top soil and strew that.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I will give your method a shot. Sounds better than walking around the yard with a salt shaker! I have 1/4 pound of seed. How much soil should I mix it into? A 10 pound bag of cheap potting soil?

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

It works better with a medium (eg sand or sandy loam) whose grains are close to the size of the seed and not too adhesive, that way you don't get sorting and clumping so much.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott