Tomato Support Idea

Since I'm cutting way back on my tomato plants this season, I think I'll try a different method to support the plants. I use the green steel fence posts that you buy at any hardware store 5' tall. All the other years I used a single stake per plant which worked ok but constant tying here and there is necessary and some branches still break due to the weight of the fruit. Since I'll have an excess of fence posts this season, I plan to put 3 stakes around each plant in the shape of a triangle. I'll run parachute cord from stake to stake at several different heights. It should work kind of like a tomato cage except much stronger as each stake will be a foot or more into the ground and the cross members will be of parachute cord and not wire. Each stake forming the triangle, I'll place eight or nine inches from the plant. By doing this, I think that I may be able to get as big a harvest even though I'm setting out half the amount of plants. When using a single stake, I would prune the plant in order to have one or two main stems. I should now be able to allow at least four main stems per plant. I do realize the size of the fruit may not be as large but the volume of fruit should surpass the difference. Any opinions on this idea?

Rich from PA zone 5-6

Reply to
EVP MAN

The Amish around here, DE run 2 lines of fencing about 5' tall and about 18" to 2' apart and grow between them. They remove lots of the leaves, and their vines are loaded with 'maters. Easy to reach and totally in view. nanzi

Reply to
Nanzi

Yes, I can see where that would work very well provided your plants are all in a straight row. But for my purpose, I need a support method for each individual plant. I'd also like to utilize the stakes and parachute cord which I already have on hand :)

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Where do you get parachute cord?

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I think the idea will work fine, as others have pointed out. As to your last observation, yes - that is a likely bet, and has been my experience, too. I'll trade many medium size fruits for few very large fruits every time. Since I grow a large-fruited tomato to begin with, I still get lots of fruits of tennis ball size.

Tony M.

Reply to
Tony

I bought a 1000 ft. spool at Amazon. It's not real cheap at $50 a spool but the stuff lasts a very long time.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

There is no way to maintain a dialog with you. Why don't you quote who/what you're responding to? You're essentially talking to yourself as though in a sanitorium. Weird dude.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

My question is _will_ the cord support the plants? Some reason I think it would have to be really taunt or it would sag, and not give the support needed.

Reply to
Oren

In my heading I had (nanzi) and that was who I was responding to. I use web tv to post and not a computer. Perhaps things look different in this discuss group to those who use computers. On my web tv, it all looks very normal just as it should and it's very clear who I respond to. I usually don't respond at all to rude people but just wanted to clear this up for others who may use the group!

Reply to
EVP MAN

The breaking strength on parachute cord in 550 lbs. If you soak the cord in water for a short while before you use it, the cord will shrink a small amount. The cord is about 3/16" in diameter. The problem I had when I used the store bought wire tomato cages was that the branches of my plants would bend down over the wire cage and snap off. I think the problem with the cages is the fact that the wire doesn't have any give to it and the branches tend to break instead. The parachute cord will indeed have some give and it's a bit heaver in diameter also. Hopefully this should work better than the cages. I'll also drive the steel stakes into the ground at least a foot or more which should make a good sturdy support.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

I just click respond to the post I'm reading. I have to type in on the subject line myself.

I just responded to your post but now I'll go up and remove Brooklyn from the subject line before I hit send.

The people who create groups using web tv are considered the group owner. The group owner can also ban trouble makers from using his or her group. Once a ban is in place, the person can read the posts but they can't post or respond to others in the group. It's kind of a shame this group don't seem to have a owner with the same web tools.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Web tv must not ad a portion of the thread I respond to. It doesn't do it automatically or give me that option. The only choice I have is to read a thread and then hit respond and let web tv do it's thing......LOL That's why I type the persons nick in the subject line at times to let them know I'm responding to their post. I'd rather grow and eat matters also :) .............. Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

"There should be", but web-tv is crippled on purpose. It is designed to be easy to use, like a tv-set, and you only get a few lines of text at a time. Of course this "ease of use" makes it very difficult to do anything other than the few easy tasks.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

I do something similar. I make a teepee fram from three stakes lashed together at the top, so each helps support the others, and I don't have to drive them into the ground as far. Then I use whatever I have to lash the plants as they grow. Around here the commercial farmers don't stake their tomatoes at all, but when I let one get too near the ground the various bugs get into it.

Reply to
Notat Home

I tried webtv when it first appeared, like 20 years ago. You were able to quote then but needed to know how to manipulate their keyboard... now I understand that quoting is even easier. The only reason webtv'ers don't quote is the same that some pc users don't trim posts, pure laziness.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I think most commercial farmers grow determinate plants. I grow indeterminate plants which get much bigger. When these load up with fruit, they can become quite heavy and good support is needed. I have heard of the tee pee method but never gave it a try. Seems like it should work quite well also. The reason I want to drive my stakes a foot or more into the ground is because of high winds we get during thunder storms in our area. That wind can really do a number on the garden plants. I always prune my tomato plants so none of the leaves ever touch the ground.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

For Determent tomatoes I use heavy steel ladders and/or steel post with garden twine. Determinate's use a single stalk that grows straight up. For indeterminate I use those lighter circular tomato supports because they are bushier.

I usually just have three indeterminate plants for eating. The five dozen determinate plants are for canning.

Reply to
Dan L

Commercial growers spread about 6" of straw for their tomato plants to vine on, keeps the fruits off the ground so they stay dry and prevents back splash onto leaves during rains, less chance of mold. I've tried that method but there's more bending required and the plants use a lot more space than staking. I found quality cages work best.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Really can't make sauce from cherry/salad tomatoes, they contain way too much water... I tried, they need to be cooked so long to reduce that it no longer tastes anything like tomato.... I remember simmering that 27 quart pot for more than 30 hours.... a total waste of time, effort, energy, and tomatoes.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

True, I use Roma's for sauce. Blanch, remove skin and seeds and just use the pulp. Outside of eating the little ones straight up or in salads, I sometimes toss them in my chili.

Reply to
Dan L