Tomato Support Idea

Why did you put an apostrophe in "Roma's"?

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"EVP MAN" wrote

No problem on my end! This isn't such a huge traffic group that we can't figure it out. I'd rather have you here even if your posting isnt the same as the big groups use (which is very hard to do with Web TV I gather).

Reply to
cshenk

I think your method sounds fine, but just to toss out another method someone might find interesting, a local greenhouse uses twine hung from overhead pipes to support their tomato vines, and I swiped the idea for my outdoor garden. Since I already had an 8 foot high fence to keep the deer out, I put a few pipes (1" schedule 10 fence pipe or EMT) across the top. When the tomatoes are big enough to need support, I hang 16 foot pieces of twine from the overhead pipes (toss mid-twine loop over the pipe and pull the length through the loop, no knots) then twist the twine around the vines at about one rotation per 6 inches. Near the bottom come back up with the twine enough to pass under the previous loop to prevent unwinding without strangling the vine. As the vines grow twist them around the twine; no tying required. I have tried between one and 4 vines per plant with this method but usually use 2 vines per plant, one

16 foot piece of twine hung between plants supporting one vine from each of the adjacent plants on the two ends. Once set up it is very quick and easy, but does require something to hold the overhead pipes up so it is a lot of trouble unless you already have a deer fence around your garden. I find it easier than stakes or cages, but not enough to justify installing posts to hold up the pipes if they aren't already there.

Glen from PA zone 5

Reply to
Glen Walpert

it is the auto spell checker, for quick messages I often do not reread. More often than not the auto spell checker works great. I am also getting use to my new glasses with these so called progressive lenses. It sucks getting old. As I rock in my chair and type this message, blurry.. Clear.. Blurry... Clear... Keep head still !!!

Reply to
Dan L

Yes, I can see where the work will provide a good plant

All in a straight row. But for me, I need a support method Each plant.

Reply to
phillipsdenman