Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Planting bulbs under pea gravel?
Hiya, I have a few beds with bulbs in them and was looking to put pea gravel down on top. I realize the pea gravel will help keep the weeds down but will it also prevent the bulbs from sprouting? I'm...
8
8

Hose coming from ground???? what is this?
Hi everyone, I have a question for everyone here. I noticed a black 1" PVC flexible PVC like pipe coming from the ground in my front yard near the house. Any clue on what this is? It even feels like...
8
8

Need Help w/ Post Hole Digging Clay Soil
I'm digging post holes in my yard for a fence and have come upon hard clay soil with tons of tree roots below. I cant get my shovel more that 2 inches deep. I have to finish my fence because i have...
6
6

Growing ivy or roses over a metal shed?
Hi, I am new at gardening and I want to get a new clean looking metal shed (because cheaper than wood and plastic sheds). My family want me to buy an expensive kind of barn or shed but they just spend...
5
5

Huge oak tree in neighbour's garden
My neighbour has a huge oak tree literally on my boundary fence. It's so massive that it takes all light from the middle section of my garden. The trees on my side (an apple and rowan tree) are...
16
16

Is 4 inches too deep for grass seed? (I've alreay planted them 4 inches)
I have an d aerator that puts 4 inch holes in lawn. I spent 10 hours aerating the entire lawn, and hand inserted grass seeds into each hole. I am wondering if this will be ok. As Ive done it Ill just...
11
11

How do you plug the drainage hole in clay pot?
I have a beautiful clay pot that I want to convert to a fountain. What is the best device for plugging the drainage hole? Also, I am new to this group. Can I forward photos of struggling plants for...
7
7

Salt water damage to azaleas
My yard was flooded by a stormsurge during the last hurricane. My azaleas were under 3-4 feet of saltwater for most of one day. Now the leaves are turning brown. What care could I give them to salvage...
78
78

Builder's sand?
Hi, I once in a while read in gardening books that certain plants should have "course builder's sand" mixed into the potting soil. Does anyone know what it is, and where to buy it. I have looked at...
11
11

Eliminating suckers at the base of redwood trees
We have a few redwood trees on our property; at the base of many, and along the roots of a few, there are many suckers which develop all the time. They look like thin asparagus shoots. One tree has a...
3
3

Dandelions with multiple heads
Has anyone ever seen Dandelions with multiple heads on one stalk? In the spring I started seeing twins and then suddenly I started seeing one wide stalk (and inch or so) with multiple heads -- I think...
9
9

Green worms on my Confederate Rose
Half inch long clearish green caterpillars are skeletonizing the leaves on my Confederate rose (Hibiscus mutablis) here in hot, humid, south Mississippi. I've had this plant for years and have never...
2
2

Tree Cauterization
I need to cut two major branches from an african sumac in order to build a wall around my property. I know that putting "tree tar" on the wounds afterwards is a bad idea, but what about cauterization...
6
6

Allergic to Laburnum golden rain/chain
Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I am allergic to peanuts and all fabiciae trees, which includes Laburnum. I found out I was allergic to it when we moved in to an apartment, which had one right...
2
2

Gladiolus bent leaves before the stalk = no bloom?
This is my second year planting gladiolus, they are currently at the 3-5 leave stage, before the stalk comes. I learned last year that not all corms produce any leaves. If they produce green leaves,...
1
1

lilac leaf curl - what is it and how to treat it?
hallo, bought lilac last year, it had two flower spikes then developed leaf curl - see picture. is it normal or should i treat it with something? thanks karaman...
1
1

angel trumpet leaves curling
I have an angel trumpet in a large pot. It is 3-4 feet tall and I have had it a few months. The leaves were quite large but now they seem to be cupping under. Kind of like you would cup your hand...
17
17

Symphalans in Houseplant - help!!
Hi - I have a fairly healthy Monstera growing in my front room - a couple of years ago, I noticed tiny white bugs crawling in the soil whenever I watered - so I washed the roots and repotted the plant...
1
1

gladiolus falling over....why?
Ok, we planted about a zillion gladiolus bulbs (cheap at Menards) this spring and to our surprise they most all came up. The problem is that they got VERY tall (some almost 5 feet) and most have fell...
5
5

Carnations that smell like Cinnamon?
A neighbour of mine in Vancouver (I now live in Winnipeg) had some gorgeous carnations that came up year after year and smelled BEAUTIFUL! They smelled very similiar to cinnamon. They did not last...
11
11