Tree Cauterization

I need to cut two major branches from an african sumac in order to build a wall around my property. I know that putting "tree tar" on the wounds afterwards is a bad idea, but what about cauterization with a blowtorch? I am interested in preventing infection to the tree as well as discouraging new growth from beginning at the cut points. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
No and No, Make the final cut at but not into the branch collar. Use a pruning technique that removes most all of the branch before you make the final cut so as not to tear the bark off the tree.
On 22 May 2005 08:46:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@softhome.net wrote:

Blowtorch? Blowtorch? Trees and blowtorches do not mix.
Learn how to make the cut properly for minimal damage to the tree and then let nature take its course. The tree will be fine as long as it is not attacked by a blowtorch or any other incendiary device.
John
replying to John Bachman, Solid wrote: Good question. The point is obviously not to start a fire; but similar to a flesh wound, cauterization can theoretically 'seal' the exposed tree from infection/infestation. Is it a little dangerous? Of course. But if done correctly And safety; will it prevent a tree from dying when otherwise it would have? Unfortunately there is no good data that I am aware of that has explored this. If you do decide to do this; (obviously be careful) please report your results.
replying to Solid, Southfloridafarmer wrote: 'Solid' is on the right track! I am an avid gardener and I will say that IF DONE CORRECTLY cauterization is the way to go. The correct way to do it? You still use the blowtorch BUT NOT THE WAY YOU THINK: For cuts less than 2" in diameter, get either a thick metal knife, spoon, or any piece of metal that's like 2"X 2" (something you don't mind getting ugly) and hold it with some long plyers under till it gets real hot and hold it directly into the cut end. Practice on a scrap cutting or two before you do the trees wound.
If you have a bigger diameter tree to cut then get a cast iron pan and set up a grill near the tree and get it real hot. Use two sets of oven mitts to pick it up and use it.