Sumac trees!!!!!!

Ahhhh!

They're gonna kill me. First there were about 20-30 of them on the bank behind my house, about two inches around, 20 feet high. There were also some big ones, 7 inches around. I cut them all down. It was on my to-do list.

They didn't appreciate that. Now they're back and multiplying. They are now even creeping closer and sprouting up closer to my house. I can easily mow those down, but the ones on the bank I can't safely reach with a mower. They breed like rabbits. When I'm sleeping I swear they are gonna sneak in and strangle me with those thin, hairy trunks of theirs. Them and those damn wild rose bushes are in cahoots.

I swear the sumac grow 1 foot a week!

There are now about 600 little plants on my bank about 4 inches tall, some about 3 feet tall. What have I started?? I know hacking them down will only slow down their attack.

How do you kill these things? I know they grow from their root systems. And I don't think these are the poisonous kind either.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve K

My setpfather had a saying:

"You cut them #*%!ing things down, and 12 come to the funeral"

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Your stepfather is a smart man.

Reply to
Steve K

Cut, cut and keep cutting. If they grow all in a line dig down and pull out the vine like feeder root or at least cut it in several places. I got rid of them for several years and they are now just starting to come back--have done the cutting a couple of times so far. MLD MLD

Reply to
MLD

I like them. I have them in front of the house for shade, and they have nice leaves for filtering light. They're very lightweight and don't damage the house. Ones that creep into the yard beyond what I want are easily mowed away.

That said, cutting is easy with a scythe, for small ones

eg. the Stryia Bush blade, which will also quickly take out multiflora rose. Uphill, downhill, it doesn't matter.

Let them know you're going to use that blade so you get a ring that will work with it (it's heftier at the heel end than most blades), if you get their snath (ask them to make sure it fits).

I use mostly grass blades, mowing the lawn, but have the 16" bush blade for the multiflora rose crisis at the back fence.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

The Mexican landscaping guys all tell me that the only surefire solution to get rid of sumac is dousing it with Gasoline!

But, somehow I d>Ahhhh!

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Reply to
zerotosixty

You need 'Agent Orange'. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

My first thought was Round-Up, and a quickie web search suggests it works.

Reply to
clifto

cut them down again, and as they are cut, use a paintbrush and some GREENLIGHT Brand Cut Vine and Stump Killer...............I am extremely impressed with this stuff...............one application is all I've had to put on the trees and shrubs I wanted to kill. However there are directions that suggest you may need to re-treat them. Just douse 'em good and they will not have any vines to grow from (roots)

Alo be very careful not to spill on anything else that you want to live...............Grass will grow back around, but it will kill anything it gets in contact with.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®