Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

elderberry in salty soil?
Anybody know whether an elderberry plant can tolerate salty soil? I have an area near the driveway, about 2 feet by 4 feet, which has nothing but dirt and rocks. It gets a lot of road salt draining...
3
3

How do I keep my new holly bushes from getting "leggy" at the bottom?
I'm getting ready to plant about 15 holly bushes along my fence row and I've been checking out bushes in the neighborhood to get ideas about what type I want to get. I've noticed that some of the...
7
7

Wintering a Russian Sage in a container
I"m a novice gardener and growing plants in containers on my terrace. I purchased a Russian Sage that grew beautifully all summer. In October I brought it indoors to repot and didn't get it back out...
4
4

Norfolk Island Pine
Have a Norfolk Island Pine that is about 10ft high with a trunk of 1.75" here in Bay Area of Northern California. The tree seems to be healthy with lots of new growth. So, the issue is that there is a...
4
4

Roofing tar to seal tree wounds?
Hello, I have some mature oak trees in my yard that I had built a tree house in for my son about 6 years ago. I've taken most it down and after I finish removing all of the metal bolts from the trees...
6
6

Katy Abraham Passes Away
Katy has joined Doc in Heaven. May they joyfully Rest in Peace together. (Naples, NY) 05/24/05 -- Katy Abraham, a longtime fixture in the Rochester broadcasting and gardening communities, has died....

Did I use too much snail bait?
Hello, all: I'm a new homeowner and first-time gardener so you'll have to forgive questions that no doubt will seem naive and silly. In any event, I bought some Safer's Slug and Snail Bait because I...
20
20

Patchwork Lawn
Last year, in utter ignorance, we laid down a totally different seed in our lawn that has resulted in a patchwork lawn. I'm trying to determine if this is something I can remedy myself easily..? I've...
1
1

Bugs in window boxes
Last year I had ant nests and earwigs living in my window boxes (1st year for boxes) and coming in the house through the cracks around the windows. (Very small cracks, and drainage holes in the...
1
1

Canyon in the Garden State (New Jersey)
I just saw Garden State(a movie worth seeing for this), and this film of an underground canyon in New Jersey, that was uncovered, when someone was trying to building a shopping mall. I guess they had...
5
5

Hydrangea root stocl?
I would like to try grafting hydrangea on another root stock to make a standard. What root stock can I use? Where can I purchase it Thanks Gary
3
3

Termites: Unwelcome Hitchhikers in Soil?
I was at Wal Mart yesterday and basically had two choices of soil for the plants I wanted to propagate: Expensive potting soil with fertilizer and chemicals in it, possibly toxic for edibles, or...
9
9

Removing broadleaf carpet grass
We have a front lawn that some years ago was laboriously covered with blue couch (Digitaria didactyla), but has since steadily been colonised by broadleaf carpet grass (Axonopus compressus), despite...
2
2

Manure on Bulbs
I just put in some 350 bulbs, and the gardeners spread what smells like horse manure all over the place. Van Engelen warns against using 'hot manure,' specifically horse manure. What is the problem,...
5
5

Wandering Jew
Funny story. Was in home depot with a co-worker. I was getting a pot for some cuttings from a wandering jew plant. He asked why do they call it a wandering jew plant I didn't know, so why do they call...
8
8

Does Leyland Cypress do well in Pennsylvania ?
I posted before seeking advice on Leyland Cypress. Thanks for the replies. Now I've run into another problem, which is that I've gotten conflicting reports of how fast the LC grow, from nurseries in...
4
4

mantis tiller
What is your opinion of the mantis tiller. Is the two cycle better than the four cycle? Thanks Gary
6
6

Tillers - and breaking bermuda grass for a garden
I'm having the worst trouble finding a salesman who has the slightest idea about tillers. I've had a few front tine tillers before and have never used a rear tine... do they have any advantage other...
5
5

Grinding noise come from Toro Mower self-propel system !
I have a Toro Electric Start Recycler Mower with the Personal Pace self-propel system. It's about a year and a half old. About 90% of the time when you start it in motion, or going up a grade, there...
5
5

Roots of Crabapple Trees, Shallow or Deep? (2023 Update)
I want to line my driveway with Crabapple trees but don't want the roots to eventually push up the cement in the driveway. Does anyone know if Crabapple Tree roots grow deep or shallow? Thanks,...
5
5