Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Honey Locust Or Mesquite..
I have two trees in my front yard that produce what I call "pods". One produces large wide pods, they can be up to 9 inches long, and one produces small thin pods, they can be up to 5 inches long. How...
3
3

japanese maple threatened by yellow fungus?
Can anybody look at this picture and tell me if my japanese maple is in trouble, and if so, what I can do to help it? See picture here: was doing well last summer, our first summer in this house. This...
4
4

Re: Shrubs... Lowes vs Nursery.
Buy from a nursery - the plants are usually older with a more established root system, so they have a much higher rate of sucess. I only buy annuals at Lowe's.
13
13

Seeds of Strychnos toxifera and Chondrodendron tomentosum
Who knows where and how to get seeds of these plants?
3
3

Throwing Snow In Neighbors Yard? Illegal? LONG!! (2024 Update)
Hello Everyone, I am new here and am looking for some help or information please. Unfortunately, I do not live in the country, but I wish I did, I hate the city. If I could afford it, I would move to...
34
34

hollyhock, foundation and gas meter question
Hi All, I have a huge Hollyhock growing next to my gas meter up against the cement foundation of my house (wood floor house with crawl space). Does this Hollyhock present an kind of danger to either...
8
8

Marigolds and cross pollination
I grew three colors of small Marigold this year (Yellow, Orange and Orange/Red bi-color). The seed heads from the three different colors have been saved separately; all yellow seed heads in one bag,...
2
2

Agway fertilizer and Scotts broadcast spreader - what setting???
I bought a big bag of Agway Organic lawn fertilizer and bought a Scotts Standard Broadcast Spreader. On the back of the bag they list the settings for every brand of spreader except Scotts. Does...
13
13

Y-Shaped Trunk in Young Maple Tree
I have 6 year old maple tree that was grown from a seedling. It is now about 15 feet in height. About 23 inches up from the ground the trunk splits in a tight Y-shape. The branches from the Y curve...
6
6

Russian Sage - yellowing leaves???
I live in the Denver area and just planted a Russian Sage that's about 18" tall, bought from Home Depot. I planted it in full sun ( about 5 hours a day of it? ) on a slope with good drainage and just...
5
5

Ants destroying lupines!
I have lusted after these flowers since we went to PEI. I have a few plants but armies of small brown ants are sucking the life out of the flower stalks, and they break off in a couple of days. What...
3
3

Stain on grass?
I spilt deck stain on the grass, about 2 by 2 square. Leave it , cut the sod out? How would you repair this?
4
4

Shelf life of fish emulsion?
Hi all, I've never used fish emulsion and was wondering what the shelf life of fish emulsion is once the bottle is opened? Also, I have a 1 gal. sprayer. If I mix according to directions (1/4 tsp per...
6
6

sodding yard, ok to checker?
I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want to sod St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft or so) the cost concerns me. Would it be okay to checker squares (the full...
13
13

geranium spikes
My geraniums are growing spikes...I'm assuming these are for seeds. Do you keep the whole long pod? I don't remember the original seeds being long. DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co,...
2
2

Do thorns decompose?
My daughter (age 6) asked that as we trimmed the wild raspberries back (yet again). I find sources on line that say no or poorly. I'd try the experiment with her, but she's a little young for a...
4
4

How/when do I collect Wallflower seeds?
Wallflowers set their seeds the same way do: in little tubes that line the spent flower stalk. When is a good time to collect the seeds? Can I cut the stalks now and hang them to dry or do they have...
3
3

Dogwood tree with thorns
I have a tree out in the back of my property that looks like it has thorns. It has never flowered...until now. It has white flowers all over it and looks like dogwood. My Grandma said it IS...
1
1

Neem tree in DFW area
I live in the DFW area and wish to plant a Neem tree (Azadirachta indica) in my back yard. Anyone grown this before? If so which is the best place to get one and best time to plant?
1
1

remote (e.g. laser) tree trimming?
No reason there couldn't be such a thing, but is there such a thing? I want to trim (burn away) a ~5" diameter branch high on a tree to give me line- of-sight to a satellite. Because of height and...
5
5