Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

sunflower stem split
After last week's big rains here in Maryland my sunflower's stems split length wise. Funny thing is that they have kept right on growing. Is this normal? I think it is caused by the dry period with...
1
1

my george tabor rhodendrons do not bloom
I moved into a home with previously planted george tabor rhodendrons I have been here through last fall, winter, spring, and still n blooms yet. They are planted underneath a stand of oak trees and ge...
4
4

Repair parts for vintage traveling sprinkler (2023 Update)
I have a traveling cast-iron sprinkler that looks like it was made in the 1950s or 60s (maybe earlier). It works well, but the main gear that is driven by the spinning sprinkler arms is nylon and it...
13
13

Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?
Someone was telling me that they can use a shredder-blower to shred peat moss and spray a think layer of it all over your lawn after putting down grass seed, then you water and it helps keep the...
68
68

Gerbera Daisy Over Wintering
Hello All, Zone 5 north of Boston here.... I have 8 Gerbera Daisies that I'm going to have to dig up and do something with for the winter. I don't think I could cover them w/enough mulch to survive a...
3
3

Vinca Minor not growing :(
Hi all, I planted 50 Vinca Minor about 2 month ago. They look dark green, and alive. However, they do not grow at all, I am in zone 6. I thought this is a very fast growing plant. Any Ideas why is not...
11
11

cub cadet problem
new 18.5 hp cub cadet B&S ELS engine,with about 8 hours on it. Started blowing a cloud of whitish smoke. I turned it off and called service. (Service not arrived yet) This morning I started it up and...

Pawpaw trees & Kiwi's in Wisconsin??
Anyone out there ever try & grow Pawpaws or kiwi's in Wisconsin????
2
2

Mums, Squirrels & Chipmunks
What part of Mums do squirrels and chipmunks eat? We just planted three large mums, and the squirrels and chipmunks have already decimated them. They climb on top and borrow in, they uproot and dig up...

Baking soda & lawn turf
I had an experience that you may need to know about. I keep baking soda in the refrigerator for odor control. When I removed it, for some reason I decided to broadcast it off the front porch. Now a...
3
3

Interesting volunteer pepper
I talked to my brother in Houston last night, and he mentioned an interesting pepper he has this year. He grew Trinidad Spice peppers last year (habanero-type chinense pepper with no heat at all), and...
2
2

Milky Spore Gets rid of Grubs & Moles
I tried milky spore a year ago in a desperate attempt to clear my lawn of destructive moles. I purchases the Milky Spore from and have seen tremendous results! I was a little skeptical at first but it...
6
6

plant before or after rain?
I finally have my first garden put together and am ready to plant my first seeds (beets, arugula and peas). We're supposed to get rain pretty much all week. If I plant the seeds now, are they going to...
6
6

Help: Removing rust spots from grey river rocks.
I have a large quantity of grey Mexican river rocks that have aquired rust spots of varying degree on their surfaces. Is there a way to remove these spots without destroying the surface of the rocks?...
5
5

brown spots on coleus leaves
My coleus plants that I have recently brought inside have brown spots near the central vein. The spots are elongated and irregulary shaped. Does anyone have any ideas about the cause? Before I brought...
2
2

Growing Coconut Palm Trees in Southern California
I know that growing coconut palms in Southern California just don't work if you grow them outdoors or even indoors in a house but have any of you grown one successfully in a greenhouse in Southern...
6
6

Re: Baby Shampoo as Horticultural Soap
Speaking of aphids, is it possible that the aphids that appear on my Staghorn Fern are actually spores?
9
9

Why are my evergreens dying
Hi, I live in a rural hilly zone 4 area. We have mostly oak and maple on and around the property with a sprinkling of other trees. The few coniferous trees we get have a high die off rate and I don't...
4
4

Fertilizer spreader clogs? any advice?
I have a newer scotts fertilizer spreader. I always seams to clog up. I think it is due to slight more in the fertilizer. I keep it in my aluminum shed ( in the original plastic bag). I seal the...
6
6

10 10 10 fertilizer smells like ammonia - can I use it?
I have a bag of 10 10 10 fertilizer that's been sitting a while and now it smells like ammonia. Is it still usable? Thanks
2
2