Best Rated threads in Garden Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Weed KIller Froze in Shed During Winter
Hello, My Bayer Lawn Weed Killer concentrate froze this past winter while stored im my shed. The label says do not allow it to freeze. Was it weed killing capabilities compromised because it did...
6
6

Condensation in twinwall polycarbonate channels
I, a rank amateur and non-handy person, am trying to restore an old GH with aluminum frame. I replaced the glass with twinwall polycarbonate sheets. The frame has a groove in the bottom where the...
11
11

Agapanthus , Sap causing itchy rash !
I saw the same thing, but a few google searched turned up claims of being extremely poisonous including to dogs and cats. I'm not familiar with the plant, but the pretty blue appeals to me. Maybe I...
3
3

Qualcast Suffolk Punch
I have an old Suffolk Punch 35. There is no spark at the plug. I have taken the flywheel off and there is a lot of oil in and around the magneto. The inside of the flywheel looks worn as if it has...

blue spruce tree with double top trunk
Is it recommended that one of the two top tips be cut off and if so, which one. the lower or the upper.
9
9

Musty smellin potting soil, what should I do with it?
I have about a large bag and a half of potting soil that has become lumpy and dried out because I didn't use any for a couple of years. It smells musty inside. I'd like to dump it somewhere it might...
8
8

Urgent, will it be too late to plant lily bulbs in two weeks?
We have to fill in where new steps were poured with topsoil (can mix in some peat I have), and I read that lilies are good to prevent soil erosion. Can I plant the bulbs if I order some as late as the...
6
6

Lining Bottom of Planter with Wood Chips
For some reason, one of my neighbors rakes up all his decorative wood chips every spring and replaces them. I don't know why he does it but he does. Every year he throws them in the trash but this...
3
3

Splayed Branches On Conifer
After the snow this winter, some of the branches on our conifers have splayed out. They look very unsightly so I want to tie them back in. Can anyone what I should to use and any other advice. I...
12
12

How to divide crowded Gerbera Daisy
We have a pot bound Gerbera daisy. It seemed to have 3 separate crowns over the summer. Now, there are at least 6 distinct crowns, and the root area is a solid tangle of roots. I could just slice thru...

Holly Trees Root Structure
Hi, Does anyone know what type of root structure a common holy tree has? We've just moved and within 12 hours of moving in our neighbours had sent round their friendly tree surgeon to enquire if they...
2
2

What Animal Will Eat The Tops Off Onion Plants?
My neighbor planted some spring onion sets in his garden last week and told me that something chewed the tops off of two rows. We live in town and have rabbits, squirrels and every once in awhile a...
14
14

Luffa gourds - still no female flowers
This is the first time I've grown luffa gourds in at least 20 years. My first try back in the late 80's resulted in not a single luffa fruit. Well, it appears that exactly the same thing is happening...
6
6

Rotavator Problems
Hi all, this is my first post as a newbie hope its the right section..Just bought a merry tiller rotavator 20+ years old but all in good nick, trouble is it starts first pull every time but when you...
1
1

Green Giant Arborvitae Advice
I'm thinking of planting a hedge row of Green Giant Arborvitae. I want to plant them tight (3 foot on center), because I don't like the V-shaped gaps I've seen on other Green Giant hedge rows planted...
9
9

Drip Irrigation and Landscaping Fabric
Hi! I am going to be installing a drip irrigation system for my shrubs. Some sites say to install the lines above the mulch, while others say below it. I think I'm going to install it below the mulch...
4
4

Wisteria has changed colour!
Hi - my wisteria this year has changed colour from purple to pink and has an abundance of flowers - the best that it has ever looked? Last summer i laid a new patio close to the wisteria - has the...
1
1

Sheep eating tree bark
Lyle wrote in news: a circle of stock fence (4x4 squares, 4' high) around each tree. it won't be any harder than painting each tree with poisonous chemicals... & the fruit will still be edible. in my...
4
4

parkside leaf blower
I bought a parkside leaf blower model plb 3000/5 in lidl a year or two ago ,Isucked up a piece of hard plastic and broke part of wheel inside at top of machine but trying to get a part is like finding...
6
6

Is this a bad fence job or am I just too picky?
SORRY INCOMPLETE POST - news server acting up. Here is the complete post. I hired someone to put up a wood fence, and I am not too happy about the outcome. In the contract I specified how far the...
5
5