Agapanthus , Sap causing itchy rash !

I didn't realise Agapanthas is rated as a highly poisonous plant.It had been planted 20 yes ago and not pruned
It's over taken so I decided with good tips from a magazine how to prune back. No mention of being
Poisonous. I was wearing proper protection including heavy duty gauntlet gloves,
I have developed an excruciating pinful rash red spots developing into blister along I side both
Arms and legs. Three days om still hurting and weeping . Treatment hydrocortisone cream
Calamine lotion to cool . I will give gp a call because I feel completely without any backup
Meeka,
Reply to
thelmawright4
Loading thread data ...
According to Wikipedia, Agapanthus is only mildly allergenic. However, that does not mean some individuals might be far more sensitive than the average.
I have a bed of Agapanthus that must be over 40 years old. I cut out the stalks of faded blooms and never have a problem. On the other hand, I do avoid contact with the sap since it can be messy.
When you go to your physician, carefully take a piece of a leaf or stalk with you. Your physician might more easily prescribe relief for you with a sample or even determine that something else is the cause of your rash.
Note that a rash on one side of the body with blisters and severe pain is also a symptom of shingles. A vaccination against shingles does not guarantee you will not get it. I have had both the Zostavax and Shingrix vaccinations. Two years after the latter, I developed a very mild case of shingles: rashes with blisters on my right shoulder, right hip, and right ankle that sometimes itched but no pain. It came back again about a month or two ago with only two blisters on my right hip; it is already gone.
Reply to
David E. Ross
"David E. Ross" writes:
I saw the same thing, but a few google searched turned up claims of being extremely poisonous including to dogs and cats.
I'm not familiar with the plant, but the pretty blue appeals to me. Maybe I should stick with Delphinium.
Good thinking (as usual).
Reply to
Dan Espen
I had the same experience with the sap from the agapanthus. I cut it back on Sunday just gone and on the Monday I had a slight rash and by Tuesday it turned into a red raw itching rash . It was up my arms, chest, neck , face and scalp. Then over the period of the day it travelled to my back and down my legs . By the end of the night my tongue was swelling, I had a high temp and felt very nauseous..I seeked medical advice and was given antihistamine and hydrocortisone cream . It us day 3 on these and I feel better . The itching is still there but nowhere as intense. I have been told it takes 14/28 days to heal.
Reply to
Tania

Site Timeline Threads

HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.