Tree sap removal?

My daughters car roof has got tree sap all over it and it's proving a bugger to remove. Does anyone have any tips?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Bush

Wait for it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nthkentman

Aye, but does it do the job or not? Me I quite like it or it's derivatives

Reply to
Corporal Jones

some solvents work for this, but get it off - its likely not sap but something some trees (limes are the worst IIRC) exude and it can attack the finish.

try white spirit - that shouldn't attack the paint. Then washing up liquid. Or mix the two into a sort of swarfega and use them together.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, saw down the tree. Actually it depends on the tree for removal. Lymes are a real pain to get off of anything. Its some kind of resin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What no angle grinder involved?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

true!

Reply to
Neil Bush

I used to use isopropyl alcohol to remove pine resin various tools and skin.

It works on pine, not sure what else.

Rick... (The other Rick)

Reply to
Rick... (The other Rick)

My secateurs were black after cutting back a privet. Tried white spirit and meths but neither looked like shifting it. Scraped it off with a stanley blade in the end

Reply to
stuart noble

If it is a lime tree the chances are it is not sap, but the nasty insects that live there, though probably as easy to get rid of. I doubt that you will be able to remove the tree, as it will almost certainly have a preservation order on it. which in effect means that though it is your tree the council own it, though you must maintain it.

Reply to
Moonraker

It is indeed useful for many things, none of which lubrication. In fact, it saved my life once, when I dropped wax polish on the carpet. WD40 cleaned it of without a trace (and without SWMBO ever knowing).

Reply to
Neil Bush

Are you *sure* it is sap? What comes off Lime trees is a strong solution of sugar in water. I think it may be produced by insect activity. At any rate, it just washes off with water.

Reply to
newshound

See here for more details

newshound

It's greenfly poo. (there's too much sugar for them to cope with, given the limited amounts of protein in the sap)

The problem comes when it goes mouldy.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ